Groups

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Triquet

Groups

Postby Triquet » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:06 am

Hi Peoples,

I used to belong to IAM Oxford, but their centre of gravity seems to have moved off in the Banbury direction and I'm 14 miles south of Oxford. Are there any groups (IAM or ROSPA) in my general direction that do drive-outs and stuff? I would like to buck for Observer so I can't go on being homeless.

Jim :gear:

martine

Re: Groups

Postby martine » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:25 pm

Jim
If you live near Didcot or thereabouts then the Oxford group is your closest group and cover your area. If you fancy looking at Thames Valley Advanced Motorists they are the adjacent group....take a look at https://tvgam.org.uk/ for more details.

You could speak to the IAM Roadsmart HQ and discuss...they are on 0300 303 1134.

I don't know about ROSPA except to say there are a lot fewer groups nationally than IAM RoadSmart - again speak with the ROSPA HQ on 0121 248 2099 for more info.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:14 pm

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/groups/newburyam

They're not very picky, though. They had me along to give a talk a couple of years back :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:50 pm

Triquet wrote:drive-outs and stuff?

Depending on your hopes, this might be the sticking point.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:25 am

martine wrote:Jim
If you live near Didcot or thereabouts then the Oxford group is your closest group and cover your area. If you fancy looking at Thames Valley Advanced Motorists they are the adjacent group....take a look at https://tvgam.org.uk/ for more details.

You could speak to the IAM Roadsmart HQ and discuss...they are on 0300 303 1134.

I don't know about ROSPA except to say there are a lot fewer groups nationally than IAM RoadSmart - again speak with the ROSPA HQ on 0121 248 2099 for more info.

Thanks, I started off with the Oxford IAM, did my training with them, and had a few drive-outs. But they seem to have moved their centre of gravity up to Banbury and it's a bit of a haul for meetings and short drives. I'll have a look at Thames Valley as an alternative.

Jim

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:37 pm

Triquet wrote:I'll have a look at Thames Valley

I'd imagine the Newbury group is a fair bit closer.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Return to “General Chat”