Importance of surprise horizon

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
martine

Re: Importance of surprise horizon

Postby martine » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:36 am

No why stop at 40 - lets make it 30 right across the UK - it's got to be safer because "Speed kills"...doesn't it?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

vanman

Postby vanman » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:51 am

We will be back to the man, oops person, in front with a red flag soon. Ah no, the risk assesment would rule that out I am fairly sure..... :lol:

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:06 pm

vanman wrote:We will be back to the man, oops person, in front with a red flag soon. Ah no, the risk assesment would rule that out I am fairly sure..... :lol:

GPS controlled speed control?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:07 pm

Horse wrote:
vanman wrote:We will be back to the man, oops person, in front with a red flag soon. Ah no, the risk assesment would rule that out I am fairly sure..... :lol:

And how does that help if you're approaching a 30mph corner on a 50 mph limited road?

Technology is not the answer. Well, it might be when they get the road surfaces, signage and road markings perfect so the electronics can see them.
There's a road sign near me where a NIMBY turns round an NSL/30 speed limit sign to imply it's 30 past his/her house. Making it NSL into the real 30 road. "But Officer, my car decides what to do, it's not my fault......."

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:29 pm

GPS is not accurate enough to enforce speed limits.
Map data is not accurate enough to enforce speed limits.
AI sign recognition is not reliable enough to enforce speed limits.
Road Markings are not clear/visible/robust enough to enforce speed limits.

The more it is dumbed down and taken out of the hands of the driver the worse the driving environment will become - but hey... "something must be done!"... and this is something.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:48 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:GPS is not accurate enough to enforce speed limits.
Map data is not accurate enough to enforce speed limits.
AI sign recognition is not reliable enough to enforce speed limits.
Road Markings are not clear/visible/robust enough to enforce speed limits.

The more it is dumbed down and taken out of the hands of the driver the worse the driving environment will become - but hey... "something must be done!"... and this is something.

"something" would be fitting spikes to steering wheels and removing all the signs... :twisted:

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:21 pm

Instead of posting speed limits on sections of road that are rarely correct at all times and in all circumstances I propose that they are removed entirely. Instead of attempting to achieve compliance with arbitrary limits by occasionally measuring the speed of a few road users and prosecuting those that exceed the limit let us focus on the road users whose speed is excessive: those involved in collisions.

Remove the posted speed limit and make the road users responsible for choosing a safe speed. Instead of measuring the speed of some road users and prosecuting a few of them, investigate the speed of all road users involved in a collision and prosecute those found to have been travelling too fast at the time of their collision. The threat of such prosecutions should focus road users’ decision making in a positive way.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:27 pm

Jonquirk wrote:Instead of posting speed limits on sections of road that are rarely correct at all times and in all circumstances I propose that they are removed entirely. Instead of attempting to achieve compliance with arbitrary limits by occasionally measuring the speed of a few road users and prosecuting those that exceed the limit let us focus on the road users whose speed is excessive: those involved in collisions.

Remove the posted speed limit and make the road users responsible for choosing a safe speed. Instead of measuring the speed of some road users and prosecuting a few of them, investigate the speed of all road users involved in a collision and prosecute those found to have been travelling too fast at the time of their collision. The threat of such prosecutions should focus road users’ decision making in a positive way.

Basically that's the position for pedal bikes. Speed limits don't apply but there is legislation on the manner of riding.
During my active cycling days I often overtook cars driving at the posted limit much to their surprise. :o

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:58 am

crr003 wrote:
Horse wrote:

And how does that help if you're approaching a 30mph corner on a 50 mph limited road?

You have answered your own question. 'Someone' would make an assessment.
https://earth.app.goo.gl/7HccFX

It could be generated automatically, for example by reviewing the same type of data used to display traffic speed on Google Maps, with an '85th percentile' value.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:14 am

Google Maps links tend to work much better for far more people than do Google Earth links.

Do you have an equivalent handy?

Return to “General Chat”