Importance of surprise horizon

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1794
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Importance of surprise horizon

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:30 am

Strangely Brown wrote:Google Maps links tend to work much better for far more people than do Google Earth links.

Do you have an equivalent handy?

Strangely there doesn't seem to be an auto link, so I ripped the co-ordinates :)

StreetView link https://goo.gl/maps/T4T7Xni1z7gwmjuE7
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003
Posts: 765
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: Importance of surprise horizon

Postby crr003 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:55 am

Horse wrote:
crr003 wrote:
Horse wrote:
vanman wrote:We will be back to the man, oops person, in front with a red flag soon. Ah no, the risk assesment would rule that out I am fairly sure..... :lol:


GPS controlled speed control?

And how does that help if you're approaching a 30mph corner on a 50 mph limited road?


You have answered your own question. 'Someone' would make an assessment.
https://earth.app.goo.gl/7HccFX

It could be generated automatically, for example by reviewing the same type of data used to display traffic speed on Google Maps, with an '85th percentile' value.

The link worked for me. Always like getting your links as I used to live round there in the old days. Take that signage - it's advisory 40 for a fully loaded artic. And look at the "Shellgrip" coming up - you can go even faster on that (that's physics!)!

I was just envisaging a system where the vehicle "sees" the Council approved speed limit (via camera/signage and/or GPS) and limits the speed to it. Variations of bend severity along the route wouldn't change the maximum allowed speed.

But I like your mention of the 85th percentile!

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 2750
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Importance of surprise horizon

Postby Horse » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:18 pm

crr003 wrote:
Horse wrote:
crr003 wrote:

The link worked for me. Always like getting your links as I used to live round there in the old days. Take that signage - it's advisory 40 for a fully loaded artic. And look at the "Shellgrip" coming up - you can go even faster on that (that's physics!)!


Can go faster? I was quite amused one day, following a camera partnership van that exited the motorway doing 60, then continued at the same speed around the 40 advisory bend. So, how are they decided and where is the guidance on who they apply to? I don't recall seeing anything.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

User avatar
Strangely Brown
Posts: 722
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:06 pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Importance of surprise horizon

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:33 pm

Horse wrote:Can go faster? I was quite amused one day, following a camera partnership van that exited the motorway doing 60, then continued at the same speed around the 40 advisory bend. So, how are they decided and where is the guidance on who they apply to? I don't recall seeing anything.


Yes, circumstances permitting, I would probably go faster round that bend. The 40 is advisory, not a legal maximum so the partnership van did nothing wrong. Do you think that they did?

crr003
Posts: 765
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: Importance of surprise horizon

Postby crr003 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:17 pm

Horse wrote:
crr003 wrote:
Horse wrote:
crr003 wrote:The link worked for me. Always like getting your links as I used to live round there in the old days. Take that signage - it's advisory 40 for a fully loaded artic. And look at the "Shellgrip" coming up - you can go even faster on that (that's physics!)!


Can go faster? I was quite amused one day, following a camera partnership van that exited the motorway doing 60, then continued at the same speed around the 40 advisory bend. So, how are they decided and where is the guidance on who they apply to? I don't recall seeing anything.

So you expect drivers to slow to the advisory? That'll be fun in the future when state controlled cars slow to the advisory and free thinkers end up getting brake tested!

I see your 40 and raise you 20:
https://goo.gl/maps/PU7SiHD8iT5MrSTN9
Spent a few hours standing around on slip road closures after lorry drivers got this one wrong!
There's something to do with bend radius I thought which dictated warning big heavy vehicles.

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 2750
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Importance of surprise horizon

Postby Horse » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:48 pm

crr003 wrote:
Horse wrote:
crr003 wrote:
Horse wrote:


Can go faster? I was quite amused one day, following a camera partnership van that exited the motorway doing 60, then continued at the same speed around the 40 advisory bend. So, how are they decided and where is the guidance on who they apply to? I don't recall seeing anything.

So you expect drivers to slow to the advisory?


Nope. I try to expect drivers to do all sorts of things.

I was amused that 'advice' was, apparently, to be ignored by drivers as they saw fit, but that level of judgement was not allowed by that van's driver to others when conditions might be quite reasonable for them to be travelling in excess of a mandatory limit.

FWIW although the advisory sign is attached to the bend warning sign, there are other factors which might (and it's only a guess) make the sign appropriate there. A little further along, the rh lane is lost and, until recently, there were regularly queues just out of site from the slip merging onto the 329M. But I don't know whether those factors are taken into consideration.

Anyone know? Or is it based on stopping sight distance, radius, camber, crossfall... ?
Last edited by Horse on Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

User avatar
Strangely Brown
Posts: 722
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:06 pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Importance of surprise horizon

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:51 pm

You appear to be struggling to differentiate between advisory and mandatory. Either I am missing something or that is both surprising and worrying.

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 2750
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Importance of surprise horizon

Postby Horse » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:58 pm

You appear to be misinterpreting my post :)

I am quite clear on the difference. However, since these are usually branded safety camera partnerships, wouldn't you expect the driver to conform to safety advice?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 2750
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Importance of surprise horizon

Postby Horse » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:14 pm

crr003 wrote:

I see your 40 and raise you 20:
https://goo.gl/maps/PU7SiHD8iT5MrSTN9
Spent a few hours standing around on slip road closures after lorry drivers got this one wrong!
There's something to do with bend radius I thought which dictated warning big heavy vehicles.


That one has the additional graphic, suggesting that the M4-329M slip might be something different- or there's no clear guidance on use? (Which would seem unlikely. TSRGD tends to be fairly prescriptive).
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

User avatar
jont-
Posts: 1316
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Re: Importance of surprise horizon

Postby jont- » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:05 pm

Horse wrote:You appear to be misinterpreting my post :)

I am quite clear on the difference. However, since these are usually branded safety camera partnerships, wouldn't you expect the driver to conform to safety advice?

How much do they actually have to do with safety rather than operating as legalised protection rackets?


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests