LastPass alternative?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
jont-

Re: LastPass alternative?

Postby jont- » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:04 am

crr003 wrote:
jont- wrote:Well, a few days into Bitwarden and it seems to be working well for me. Only niggle is that I haven't found a way to get it to autopopulate forms in the way Lastpass would, I have to click on the browser extension button to copy the password.

Also, while Lastpass would cache your browser master password login for a number of days, BW prompts each time I restart the browser. Still, it's probably worth $10 a year so I'll probably pay up for premium.

I haven't tried BW yet but I'm leaning this way. Does this page help - it implies an auto fill option, or is this still not as slick as LastPass auto fill?
https://bitwarden.com/help/article/auto-fill-browser/

Just found this implying you can turn off the master password requirement?
"Optional: The pre-checked option Lock with master password on restart will require you to enter your Master Password instead of a PIN when your app restarts. If you want to be able to unlock with a PIN when your app restarts, uncheck this option."

Yes, thanks, I found those last night. The one click is slightly better, but not quite as slick as LP. I can live with it. There are various settings for master PW from instant-lock through a few hours to never, but the top end is either browser restart or never. I'm not quite sure I'm comfortable with "never" although maybe that's just habit. Good security practice would probably be after a hibernate/power-off so if someone finds a way into my machine they still can't access my passwords.

On the other hand I'm now being encouraged to use WeChat by my new company to help talk to Chinese colleagues, so maybe any pretence at security is pointless? :twisted: (FWIW I've actually installed it on a spare handest that isn't used for anything else and I'm running the web client in a sandbox)

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:44 am

Oooh, someone pointed out on SELOC autopopulate is an (experimental) option:
Settings / Other / Options / Enable auto-fill on page load

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:25 pm

jont- wrote:On the other hand I'm now being encouraged to use WeChat by my new company to help talk to Chinese colleagues, so maybe any pretence at security is pointless? :twisted: (FWIW I've actually installed it on a spare handest that isn't used for anything else and I'm running the web client in a sandbox)

I'm glad it is not just me that is IT paranoid :)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:39 pm

If you're IT paranoid _and_ you happen to use LastPass...

https://www.theregister.com/2021/02/25/lastpass_android_trackers_found/

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:37 pm

jont- wrote:Well, a few days into Bitwarden and it seems to be working well for me. Only niggle is that I haven't found a way to get it to autopopulate forms in the way Lastpass would, I have to click on the browser extension button to copy the password.

Also, while Lastpass would cache your browser master password login for a number of days, BW prompts each time I restart the browser. Still, it's probably worth $10 a year so I'll probably pay up for premium.

Moved over to BW this evening - very easily done.

gannet

Postby gannet » Mon May 03, 2021 3:49 pm

Long time since I've logged on here, but...

I switched over to Bitwarden from lastpass a long while ago. Very easy switch and never had any issues.

Pretty sure TOTP was available to me without paying for the premium (which I have now)...

Return to “General Chat”