Old BBC transport film

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
martine

Old BBC transport film

Postby martine » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:37 am

So being bored I've been looking at some old transport films on youtube and came across this:

Scooters and more...what a hoot.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Horse

Re: Old BBC transport film

Postby Horse » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:49 pm

This is quite interesting, as it's the early formative version of at-scene crash investigation that is still being done.

Also interesting for Eric Idle in the coolest squad car (with the most uncool nee-nahs).

For younger viewers, at 1:15 the gentleman is using an early formative version of what became the 'phone'.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:17 pm

Horse wrote:This is quite interesting, as it's the early formative version of at-scene crash investigation that is still being done.

Also interesting for Eric Idle in the coolest squad car (with the most uncool nee-nahs).

For younger viewers, at 1:15 the gentleman is using an early formative version of what became the 'phone'.

Great intro around Crowthorne roads and Bracknell housing estates flashing past. The good old days.

Trumpton have changed now - they'd have cut the roof off anything not moving.

Even back then they got it right though (23:02):
"...when the limits are sufficiently realistic to be respected....."

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:35 pm

crr003 wrote:

I saw something recently that the medicos are moving away from the 'protect the neck' priority, with consequent removal of roof rather than occupant at every opportunity. Instead, assessment of any injuries, then mobilise the casualty to remove them, if deemed safe for them. Less playtime for Trumpton.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:12 pm

"Unrealistic speed limits are ignored". Some lessons are never learned
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:52 pm

Horse wrote:
crr003 wrote:

I saw something recently that the medicos are moving away from the 'protect the neck' priority, with consequent removal of roof rather than occupant at every opportunity. Instead, assessment of any injuries, then mobilise the casualty to remove them, if deemed safe for them. Less playtime for Trumpton.

Interesting - fits with my theory that if you wait long enough there'll be a contradictory piece of research coming along.

When I did HA stuff (over ten years ago now!) we had a retired fireman who didn't like that we stopped behind damaged vehicles as he said the occupants would turn their heads when we approached and risk paralysis. He said his previous training would have an approach from the front.
There are stories of at least one Plod and HA vehicle having the roof cut off after sitting an apparently "OK" RTC survivor in the back, only for them to develop back/spine issues!

Return to “General Chat”