Blimey it's quiet...

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
martine

Blimey it's quiet...

Postby martine » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:28 pm

...outside and here!

Where are everyone's interesting comments on Advanced Driving, Technology, other drivers etc.?
:racing: :steering: :car: :bike: :D
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

vanman

Re: Blimey it's quiet...

Postby vanman » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:04 am

Oh go on then. Just got our first smattering of snow (1/2" max) Not worried though got my Crossclimates on :D
Are winter tyres really worth the hassle? :roll:

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:45 am

vanman wrote:Oh go on then. Just got our first smattering of snow (1/2" max) Not worried though got my Crossclimates on :D

In southern UK, no probably not. There was a good video on the tyre reviews website a winter or two ago comparing full winters to all seasons (and summers) and the conclusion was that for at least most of England, use summers in the summer, all seasons in the winter. I've been very impressed with cross climates too, even on a trip (last winter) to scotland for a few days.

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:26 am

vanman wrote:Oh go on then. Just got our first smattering of snow (1/2" max) Not worried though got my Crossclimates on :D

I've got winter wheel/tyre sets for the Boxster and the Beemer (1 series coupe, 2l diesel...) but so far I've not driven enough to care to change, and the weather's been mild enough to not worry about it when I'm out on the summers.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:45 am

My take on it is that winter tyres can certainly make a big difference in winter weather/conditions but that most of us just don't have the storage space for all the faffing around (or a spare set of expensive alloys). Also our 'winter' flip flops between 20+ variations of conditions.

A lot of this is marketing from the tyre manufacturers and that is where the pressure to impose this is coming from.

There is absolutely no reason why all road cars couldn't be fitted with all season tyres. Why are there so few available and why are all cars sold in the UK (and europe?) fitted with with 'summer' tyres?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:08 pm

Two hours from our home in Barcelona you can go skiing and most people have chains/boots if they want to go. The roads have ample signs and pull-ins where you can fit them.
The roads are generally kept clear and are repaired in the summer/autumn so they are ready for the season.
Homes here can have limited storage space so many people hire a small lock-up for such things as tyres/bikes/BBQ's and even clothes.

I wonder if the answers to you questions are fuel economy and/or noise?

ps. It does get cold in Spain! About 4c here at the moment...bright sun though :)

Our summer refuge. The temperature in the car can read 32c and humid on the coast, then four hours later on good roads, around 18c and dry - Heaven.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g65 ... tions.html

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:29 pm

Our latest wheels are a Skoda Kamiq, the 1.5 engine with DSG gearbox and all the knobs and buttons (except adaptive suspension) and the thing is an utterly capable vehicle, very comfortable as well.
It feels solid and well made.

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:33 pm

It may depend on where you live. I live up a steep Hill which doesn't get gritted by the council. I get great reassurance from having winter tyres on a 4-wheel drive. As it happens in 2020 I left them on through the summer in view of my low mileage during covid.

Are crossclimate tyres the same as all season tyres?

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:38 pm

waremark wrote:Are crossclimate tyres the same as all season tyres?

Yes. Cross climate is a Michelin brand for their all season product.

AndyP

Postby AndyP » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:50 pm

martine wrote:...outside and here!

Where are everyone's interesting comments on Advanced Driving, Technology, other drivers etc.?
:racing: :steering: :car: :bike: :D

Ahh just had some snow started at 08:15 this morning in Sunny Keynsham Better get the Winter tyres and chains out.
My wife said it looked heavy.

MMM It Stopped at 08:17 !! Counted 22 flakes.

Had breakfast.
It is not WHAT you drive, BUT:-- the WAY that you drive it.
It is not HOW fast you drive, BUT:-- HOW you drive fast.

Cheers Andy

Return to “General Chat”