IAM RoadSmart AGM 2020

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Ohlins

Re: IAM RoadSmart AGM 2020

Postby Ohlins » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:09 pm

The motorcycle press helps considerably with promoting advanced riding. RiDE magazine regularly reviews advanced courses, and even magazines like Superbike have been staunch advocates of BikeSafe. But how often do car magazines cover advanced driving?

Perhaps it's because Bauer Media requires all its motorcycle journalists to be trained by Rapid Training (bike equivalent of the High-Performance Course). And Bauer owns most British motorcycle magazines.

Imagine how car journalists was write about advanced driving if they had done HPC (the course, not the club).

martine wrote:The overall membership continues to fall from a peak of over 90k a few years ago to to latest 84k - this is something they are aware of and need to address

Did IAM HQ say what they are doing to address this decline?

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:40 pm

As a biker I am far more aware of my vulnerability than most car drivers, it is too easy to forget you can be hurt cocooned within your warm dry metal cage. As mentioned a great deal more targeted media promotes the benefits. Many bikers ride for pleasure something not as prevalent in the 4 wheel community. That said it is still the case at least for the Manchester bike group, most new members are over the age of 50. Like car drivers most think they are already or above average ability, but they are open to developing into better riders rather than looking for the affirmation of their current abilities.
Getting more members maybe they will stop publishing the Brake view that we all need to travel slower on their social media and instead promote better educated road users make better choices, manage and mitigate risks whilst maintaining safe progress on our busy road network.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:25 pm

I totally agree. IAM Roadsmart should promote better educated road users, so they can manage and mitigate risks while maintaining safe progress. It's why we joined the IAM.

exportmanuk wrote:at least for the Manchester bike group, most new members are over the age of 50. Like car drivers most think they are already or above average ability, but they are open to developing into better riders rather than looking for the affirmation of their current abilities.

Your group's getting riders who are typical for the British biker (average age 45 in the UK).

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:39 pm

It's great the 'advanced' message is getting through to some bikers - as a group, they could really do with it and if it reduces KSI's

Trouble is, riders probably self-select to join, with them being more safety conscious riders anyway
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:45 pm

Horse wrote:Trouble is, riders probably self-select to join, with them being more safety conscious riders anyway

I would agree. Most seem to want to develop some who receive it as a gift from a loved one are a little more difficult, but generally if you get a breakthrough to them in the first few rides then they usually come of quickly. The worst to deal with are those who think they are riding gods and want to collect another badge, these are the guys who are scary to follow and rarely get to test standard.

Would really like to get younger riders to join but generally bikes are more of a luxury item and that means having disposable income something generally in short supply when bringing up a young family.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:32 pm

exportmanuk wrote:they usually come off quickly.

I hope not! :)

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:05 pm

:D
Ohlins wrote:
exportmanuk wrote:they usually come off quickly.

I hope not! :)

Come ON quickly :D
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:31 am

Ohlins wrote:Imagine how car journalists would write about advanced driving if they had done HPC (the course, not the club).

I took the HPC course after reading a series of articles by John Lyon the course manager in the weekly mag Motor (it subsequently merged with Autocar). Most of the then leading motoring journalists had been trained by John. But I never thought about doing an IAM course at that stage of my life - did such a thing exist or was there only a test, no course?

The modern equivalent of those articles is Reg Local's Youtube videos. Where else would you like to see material on advanced driving?

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:44 am

waremark wrote:The modern equivalent of those articles is Reg Local's Youtube videos. Where else would you like to see material on advanced driving?

PHs? Or maybe someone like Henry Catchpole writing/youtubing about it?

Problem is, advanced driving doesn't look exciting on camera (assuming you're doing it right!)

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:30 am

jont- wrote:
Problem is, advanced driving doesn't look exciting on camera (assuming you're doing it right!)

On YouTube, the video by 'Black Rat' about the Met SEG is about as boring as it gets. But that's the point!

Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “General Chat”