IAM RoadSmart AGM 2020

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
martine

IAM RoadSmart AGM 2020

Postby martine » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:01 pm

So did anyone attend (by zoom) this week along with me? I think there was a max of 41 attendees...out of 84,000 members!

If anyone has any questions about the AGM I may be able to help.

The main things were...financially they are fine with over £7m available. Obviously this AGM doesn't cover the last few months and with CV19 they are expecting quite a large drop in new associates and new members and the finances will suffer - watch for next year's AGM!

Membership renewal rate remains at over 90% - which is really good for any organisation.

The IAM RoadSmart 'Driver Retraining Academy' (runs drink/driving courses) and 'Drive and Survive' (corporate driver training) both held up well but the vast majority of IAM RoadSmart income comes from traditional advanced training and membership renewal. The operating deficit is continuing to reduce and had it not been for CV19 in March, the IAM RoadSmart group may well have broken even.

The overall membership continues to fall from a peak of over 90k a few years ago to to latest 84k - this is something they are aware of and need to address - otherwise I guess the IAM might become a tiny group for nerdy driving enthusiasts (like us!) and even less relevant to the 'ordinary' motorist.

Oh and of course the new DARTS system was being developed (and is now live).

Obviously all the AGM resolutions were passed and without discussion!

The meeting closed around 2pm.

Shame more members didn't 'attend' but I'm not surprised.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

angus

Re: IAM RoadSmart AGM 2020

Postby angus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:13 pm

martine wrote:Membership renewal rate remains at over 90% - which is really good for any organisation.

Which is surprising. Assume most are on auto renew and forget to cancel

waremark

Postby waremark » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:54 pm

I decided there wasn't enough in it to be worth reporting but since you've started let me add a couple of points.

It was the first year they sold more Advanced Rider Courses than Advanced Driver Courses - combined total 5,400 ish.

The Drink Driver courses are being very successfully delivered online.

DARTS - there was no choice about the need to replace dying systems. The bit which has gone live is stage 1, other stages will be added over the next couple of years.

There was no financial forecast for the current year (unlike previous AGMs).

There was only one question - about the restriction of discounts. We let you lot down by not asking about the support for BRAKE.
Last edited by waremark on Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:40 pm

waremark wrote:It was the first year they sold more Advanced Rider Courses than Advanced Driver Courses - combined total 5,400 ish.

Wow :o

Any ideas how that has changed over the years, as headline totals for car and bike tests?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:45 pm

Doesn't surprise me. The bike groups are so much more active than the car groups. There's another topic running on just such a theme.

The big difference though is that most riders ride because they LOVE it. Most car drivers drive because they have to.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

hray

Postby hray » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:43 pm

I read all the emails that HQ send through, but can’t say I saw anything about the AGM, perhaps that’s the reason for the low attendance.
Hugh - Local Observer, Masters (Distinction)

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:12 pm

hray wrote:I read all the emails that HQ send through, but can’t say I saw anything about the AGM, perhaps that’s the reason for the low attendance.

Try Inform Weekly News of 4th November

M1ke H

Postby M1ke H » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:25 am

If you're fortunate or unfortunate enough not to receive Inform, I think the Calling Notice for the AGM was also included in that erstwhile publication RoadSmart, Autumn edition.

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:27 am

waremark wrote:It was the first year they sold more Advanced Rider Courses than Advanced Driver Courses - combined total 5,400 ish.

Do we know why? Is it because advanced car courses are declining or advanced riding courses are increasing?

martine

Postby martine » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:22 pm

Probably a bit of both - I'd imagine. It's great the 'advanced' message is getting through to some bikers - as a group, they could really do with it and if it reduces KSI's and they still enjoy biking then job done.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Return to “General Chat”