Intelligent Speed Assistance

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Ohlins

Re: Intelligent Speed Assistance

Postby Ohlins » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:54 pm

martine wrote:You can download the report here:
https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/download/downloads/id/5102/isa_interface_study_accessible.pdf

The research indicates the 'best' system is 'speed control alone' - perhaps not surprisingly (see the report for definitions of the systems).

'Speed control' would be worrying because it would give you a dead throttle, which means losing the option to accelerate out of trouble. There are rare-but-critical circumstances in which the safest course of action is to accelerate out of trouble. And I'd rather break the speed limit (briefly) than have an accident. Car drivers mightn't realise how vital this option can be on a bike.

Usually, riding systematically should avoid trouble through observation, anticipation and planning. But there are circumstances in which the safest action is to accelerate out of trouble.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:57 pm

AIUI, they do have an override, similar to kickdown where you can push the throttle hard to override the limiter.

I'm much more interesting in seeing how the in-car driver monitoring systems are going to work, and whether manufacturers are going to have to turn them down/off because of the general levels of inattentiveness and distractions.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:06 pm

Ohlins wrote:'Speed control' would be worrying because it would give you a dead throttle, which means losing the option to accelerate out of trouble.

You'll need to check but IIRC it's something like the Geneva Convention says that control cannot be taken away from the driver (or rider).

I've ridden, briefly, a test bike that had some radar operated gizmos. This 'weighted' the throttle, you just had to use a bit more force to overcome it.

There's a couple of videos on YouTube, but I can’t find them right now.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

martine

Postby martine » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:06 pm

Ohlins wrote:'Speed control' would be worrying because it would give you a dead throttle, which means losing the option to accelerate out of trouble...

The system allows you to press firmly on the accelerator to over-ride the 'speed control'.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:25 pm

martine wrote:The system allows you to press firmly on the accelerator to over-ride the 'speed control'.

If it works the same as on my car with the limiter set ( motorway roadworks etc) then to over ride it that way is far too slow. You have to floor the pedal and keep it there some time before it start to speed up. Much quicker to turn the limiter off ( just a press of the right button)
Car is a 17 plate 220M
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:55 pm

martine wrote:
Ohlins wrote:'Speed control' would be worrying because it would give you a dead throttle, which means losing the option to accelerate out of trouble...

The system allows you to press firmly on the accelerator to over-ride the 'speed control'.

One of the problems I've found with a limiter is that if you do override it, you then suddenly get full acceleration - in an auto possibly involving full kickdown too. This may not be the desired effect.

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:19 pm

exportmanuk wrote:If it works the same as on my car with the limiter set ( motorway roadworks etc) then to over ride it that way is far too slow. You have to floor the pedal and keep it there some time before it start to speed up.

In an emergency, that would be my concern too.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:34 pm

Ohlins wrote:
exportmanuk wrote:If it works the same as on my car with the limiter set ( motorway roadworks etc) then to over ride it that way is far too slow. You have to floor the pedal and keep it there some time before it start to speed up.

In an emergency, that would be my concern too.

And, as Ohlins mentioned, that sort of thing (or limiting power) can have dramatic effects on bike stability.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:47 pm

Horse wrote:
Ohlins wrote:'Speed control' would be worrying because it would give you a dead throttle, which means losing the option to accelerate out of trouble.

You'll need to check but IIRC it's something like the Geneva Convention says that control cannot be taken away from the driver (or rider).

I've ridden, briefly, a test bike that had some radar operated gizmos. This 'weighted' the throttle, you just had to use a bit more force to overcome it.

There's a couple of videos on YouTube, but I can’t find them right now.

Here's the report (no idea what it says :) ):
https://trimis.ec.europa.eu/sites/defau ... Report.pdf

https://trimis.ec.europa.eu/project/pow ... y#tab-docs

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:28 pm

A Citroen C3 with this technology, didn't miss a single sign on a 4 hour plus drive from Barcelona to Val d' Aran...not all motorway but good quality roads.
It helps and reminds you because we all make mistakes.

Return to “General Chat”