Declining Standards

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Strangely Brown

Re: Declining Standards

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:12 pm

I found the TomTom device interface very accommodating for planning a pretty complex route across country in the USA last year. Forcing the unit to pick certain roads by use of waypoints, towns, junctions etc was much easier than I had expected. SInce doing this in the breakfast longe of the hotel ruled out any use of plan online and download so I was really pleasantly surprised having not tried anything that complex with it before. Like most, I had always used the website to plan the routes and then sync them to the unit via its own data connection.

It is very unlikely that this would have been possible using a phone based nav system due to the lack of mobile coverage for so much of the route.

hray

Postby hray » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:54 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:It is very unlikely that this would have been possible using a phone based nav system due to the lack of mobile coverage for so much of the route.

For Google Maps, I know you can select to download maps for offline use, which works around this problem. The application then doesn’t need (or use) any data.
Hugh - Local Observer, Masters (Distinction)

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:11 pm

hray wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:It is very unlikely that this would have been possible using a phone based nav system due to the lack of mobile coverage for so much of the route.

For Google Maps, I know you can select to download maps for offline use, which works around this problem. The application then doesn’t need (or use) any data.

There's a limit to the size of area you can do that for, which may not work if you're on a big US road trip.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:34 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:having not tried anything that complex with it before

How complex? I guess I'm asking in terms of how many routing points in a route.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Return to “General Chat”