Touch Screens

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
M1ke H

Re: Touch Screens

Postby M1ke H » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:55 pm

Bumping to the top because todays news suggests Tesla are having to recall 158,000 cars in the US due to failing touchscreens :roll:

/awaits comment from jont-/ ;)

AndyP

Postby AndyP » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:21 pm

Shocking Idea. RUDDY nightmare.
If I need to adjust heat or seat or whatever on the passengers side, I pride myself with knowing how. NOW I have to ask the driver and that takes away all their attention. I saw an official survey/test/trial in Auto Express sponsored by iAM RoadSmart and it is worse than using a phone AND Drunk and Drugged driving.
BONKERS world we are in.
It is not WHAT you drive, BUT:-- the WAY that you drive it.
It is not HOW fast you drive, BUT:-- HOW you drive fast.

Cheers Andy

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:23 pm

M1ke H wrote:/awaits comment from jont-/ ;)

<wavey>

It's not the touchscreens that are failing per-se, but the memory chip filling up and causing other things to stop working. Guess what, put mobile tech in a car and it's not fit for purpose :soap:

Not sure if I linked to Mazda before, but not all car manufacturers are shiny obsessed idiots
https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-ne ... eens-cars/

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:35 pm

jont- wrote:
M1ke H wrote:/awaits comment from jont-/ ;)

It's not the touchscreens that are failing per-se, but the memory chip filling up and causing other things to stop working.

This book:
https://www.waterstones.com/book/humble ... 0141989143

Covers several examples like that, where the system's designers had one implementation in mind, but it didn't align with actual use. [There's a parallel in the 'safety' world: work as imagined Vs work as done]

This quote from a paper (google a few words to read it) covers on example:

On February 25, 1991, a Patriot missile defence system operating in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, failed to engage an incoming Scud missile. The missile struck U.S. Army barracks killing 28 soldiers and injuring 98. The reason for the failure of the Patriot was a fixed-point round-off error in the range-gate algorithm of the Patriot radar unit’s tracking system. This paper reconstructs the events and explains, how the patriot system works. Then it illustrates in detail how the round-off error developed and how it amplified to a critical inaccuracy.

This occurred because missile was designed to be a mobile defence system, switched on and off (so resetting the memory) often. But here it wasn't. It was switched on, then left. The rounding errors kept accumulating. And with supersonic missiles, you can't afford to be far out.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:52 pm

Some manufacturers are moving away from touch screens for basic heating/ventilation matters.
I think Skoda and Citroen plus Mazda and a few others are amongst them.

M1ke H

Postby M1ke H » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:37 am

And to top it all, I read yesterday evening that Mercedes are about to recall 1,292,258 cars for what boils down to a technology related safety recall (ie a fault with the cars' eCall feature, which alerts emergency services of an accident and relays a vehicle's location to them, means it is possible that the wrong location could be sent).

Technology, don't you just love it when applied to anything driving related!

Return to “General Chat”