Touch Screens

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
jont-

Re: Touch Screens

Postby jont- » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:49 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:The rain sensitive wipers in my Renaultsport Clio work very well. However I never leave them in auto to turn themselves on/off. I switch them to auto as an intermittent.

The main gripe is the combined washer flick. Dirty gritty screen and you have to flick the arm to squirt the screen. The wipers then drag across a dry screen as the squirter squirts momentarily after.

One of my cars has a separate push button for spray, so you can get the screen as wet as you like before you turn the wipers on.

Another has spray bars integrated into the wipers that sprays directly onto the blades (apparently this means they can have a smaller wash bottle while meeting the regulations as it's a more efficient use of water). Don't ask about replacement costs though :cry:

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:31 pm

Gareth wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:The main gripe is the combined washer flick. Dirty gritty screen and you have to flick the arm to squirt the screen. The wipers then drag across a dry screen as the squirter squirts momentarily after.

That's just crap design and should have been identified and thrown out before production. The clue should have been in the name - Wash/Wipe. It boggles the mind how anyone could ever consider that to be acceptable and sign it off.

I'm not entirely sure it is bad design, if you assume a conscientious (police) driver will clean the windows before setting off, and stop to clean if they get particularly dirty. I think it''s designed to handle light dirt or grease that might accrue during a journey, generally for use when it's starting to rain or already raining, rather than for comprehensively washing the windscreen.

The problem is that the system has trouble knowing how dirty the windscreen may be, plus to be effective it would need to take into account ambient temperature, humidity or precipitation, and wind-speed ;-) to know how much screen-wash, and how forcibly, to deposit, and then to work out how long to delay before starting to wipe.

I really cannot see any justification for wiping a dry window when the *washer* is used. The whole point of using the washer is [almost certainly] because there is something on the glass and you want to use water and wipers to remove it. Wash first, then wipe.

In the case of a flick-wipe (single pass) I have never seen one that washes the screen and I would agree that they are usually used as you describe.

Unless I have missed something in the GTR's gripe then he is bugged (no pun intended) by the fact that the wash switch uses the wipers on a dry screen before washing? Is the design so bad that the switch is used for both flick wipe *and* wash/wipe? Still sounds like appalling design to me.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:27 pm

Just to clarify for everyone: This has nothing to do with auto wipers. The design is that the flick wipe is also the screen wash by holding it pulled towards you. You can't squirt the screen without activating a swish of the wipers.

Some seem surprised by this but our Yaris is just the same as was my Honda Civic. I've always thought how stupid it is.

Am I missing a trick somewhere?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:45 pm

Are you sure that is the only way to activate the single pass (flick wipe) action? It seems odd if that is the case. Then again it is absolutely mad that the washer activates the wiper first and adds water afterwards. An excellent recipe for scratched glass and prematurely worn blades.

Both of my cars have the flick wipe as a spring return movement of the wiper stalk in the opposite direction to the other settings. i.e.
down (spring return) for single pass
up one click for intermittent
up two clicks for speed 1
up three clicks for speed 2

On both the washer is pull towards but they both wash for 1 second or so before wiping.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:14 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:Are you sure that is the only way to activate the single pass (flick wipe) action? It seems odd if that is the case. Then again it is absolutely mad that the washer activates the wiper first and adds water afterwards. An excellent recipe for scratched glass and prematurely worn blades.

It doesn't have a flick wipe as such. You either have to turn them on and off quickly, or use the washer function.

Here's the instructions.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:00 pm

Ah well. You have my condolences. :|

Meanwhile I'll stick with my original comment

Strangely Brown wrote:That's just crap design and should have been identified and thrown out before production. The clue should have been in the name - Wash/Wipe. It boggles the mind how anyone could ever consider that to be acceptable and sign it off.

:headbang:

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:37 am

Strangely Brown wrote:Ah well. You have my condolences. :|

Meanwhile I'll stick with my original comment

Strangely Brown wrote:That's just crap design and should have been identified and thrown out before production. The clue should have been in the name - Wash/Wipe. It boggles the mind how anyone could ever consider that to be acceptable and sign it off.

:headbang:

tbf, it's not really a flick wipe, it's just using the washer for such a short period you don't get water on the screen. Most cars spray at least part way up the screen, so if you're using a washer they have to scrape the bottom part dry before meeting water.

The bad design is the lack of a flick wipe option. Then again if we're talking about crap controls I can't turn my headlights off on one car - they're either "auto", "on" or "sidelights". There isn't actually an "off" position.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:24 am

jont- wrote:if we're talking about crap controls I can't turn my headlights off on one car - they're either "auto", "on" or "sidelights". There isn't actually an "off" position.

I think it must be a UNECE regulation.

Many years ago I saw someone struggling to start a car with the headlights on and wondered why they were doing such an obviously stupid thing ... when I get a loan car while our car is being serviced, I generally turn on the sidelights before starting.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:28 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:It doesn't have a flick wipe as such. You either have to turn them on and off quickly, or use the washer function.

Here's the instructions.

Having read the instructions, I'm not clear whether moving the lever down towards the intermittent setting then releasing would trigger a single wipe - I think that's a reasonably common mechanism.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:50 pm

Gareth wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:It doesn't have a flick wipe as such. You either have to turn them on and off quickly, or use the washer function.

Here's the instructions.

Having read the instructions, I'm not clear whether moving the lever down towards the intermittent setting then releasing would trigger a single wipe - I think that's a reasonably common mechanism.

It's not sprung that way, just notched. So for a single wipe I do move it there and back manually.

Return to “General Chat”