Any opticians here?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Horse

Any opticians here?

Postby Horse » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:50 pm

interested in knowing about options for improving peripheral vision. I know that, strictly speaking, this within the eye cannot be altered- indeed I'm at the age where it starts to deteriorate.

Instead, I'm wondering about close-fitting, even curved, lenses. Something like sports sunglasses. Can these be produced with optical (rather than plain) lenses?

[Currently I have varifocals, with the broadest 'distance' option that was available. Zeiss lenses, if it matters. I'm prepared to forgo the varifocal aspect]
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Re: Any opticians here?

Postby jcochrane » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:15 am

A firm called Optilabs (https://www.optilabs.com) make up a variety of glasses for sports from a prescription. I used to get cycle glasses from them as I need varifocal as well. They are made up to your requirements so can be plain or tinted.I used to have a pair of each.
The cycle glasses were curved to protect the eyes and I never experienced an issue with peripheral vision.

Incidentally for those who are diabetic you will eventually suffer from retinopathy. Which can effect peripheral vision. An annual check on this is advisable at the opticians. The annual free diabetic eye X-ray will also reveal retinopathy. I'm fortunate that so far retinopathy is only occurring at the bottom of my eyes which means I have some loss of vision of things above my head so no problem for driving. Might be a problem if I roll the car though.

I always go for rimless glasses as there is no rim to get in the way of vision. You can also get glasses specifically for driving and I haveI tried both Zeiss and Specsaver. Specsaver are best and far cheaper. They are not as good for reading though so I keep them in the car and use my ordinary glasses the rest of the time. Specific driving glasses are good because they are designed to improve the width of vision overcoming the tunnel effect of ordinary varifocals.

Hope that helps.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:08 am

Hi John. That's great, thank you. Just looked at the site and they seem to have what will help.

Background is that in two weeks I'm having my skull bolted to C2, C3 and, possibly, C4 vertebrae. The result is no sideways head movement, only what I can achieve by twisting.

And, in case anyone is wondering or 'tutting' ;) , I am resigned that, if I can't see properly, it's bye bye licence.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:44 am

I do hope it does not come to that. All the best for the operation.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:44 am

Hope the op goes well Horse.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:29 am

Horse wrote:Hi John. That's great, thank you. Just looked at the site and they seem to have what will help.

Background is that in two weeks I'm having my skull bolted to C2, C3 and, possibly, C4 vertebrae. The result is no sideways head movement, only what I can achieve by twisting.

And, in case anyone is wondering or 'tutting' ;) , I am resigned that, if I can't see properly, it's bye bye licence.

Is that not pretty much a given for motorcycling? No head turn = no lifesaver.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:36 am

Re: the original question...

Perhaps I have missed something but I don't see how any prescription can help with peripheral vision? You have no visual acuity in that area and detect only movement. Your vision is very narrowly focussed to the centre of your gaze and everything else is a blur until you move your eye to look at it.

Maybe I misunderstand what you are asking?

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:47 am

Horse wrote:...

You can do a lot with mirrors. I wouldn't automatically think about packing in (car at least).

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:28 pm

crr003 wrote:
Horse wrote:...

You can do a lot with mirrors. I wouldn't automatically think about packing in (car at least).

@SB
Bike has already gone, I've accepted that those days are gone.
Yes, I understand that the eye cannot be improved, what i want to do is get the most view possible from restricted movement. Hence asking about wraparound glasses. Currently, I have 'view' outside of my specs lenses, i need to ensure that is usable.

Also investigating mirrors and cameras.

janetwise-griggs

Postby janetwise-griggs » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:09 pm

You can now get varifocal contact lenses. They are infinitely better than glasses. I got them when I started riding a bike again and they make a huge difference. You get all round vision but still need reading glasses. I can read the display on my bike.

Return to “General Chat”