Can anyone advise please? France

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
BobG

Re: Can anyone advise please? France

Postby BobG » Sat May 08, 2021 7:04 pm

Thank you all.

Yes. Happily, I am old enough to remember French roundabouts when, on one, one had to give way to traffic entering the roundabout! I thought they had almost died out now though.

I've got hi viz jackets - the orange colour ones.
I havent got breath test kits but it's not a bad idea I suppose. I'd forgotten about them

And Sussex, silly, but I don't know where we are going. It's a small tour organised by a small operator. I'm just going where I'm told....

Cheers chaps

BobG

martine

Postby martine » Sat May 08, 2021 9:42 pm

BobG wrote:Thank you all.

Yes. Happily, I am old enough to remember French roundabouts when, on one, one had to give way to traffic entering the roundabout! I thought they had almost died out now though...

In my experience it has died out in Normandy/Brittany/Paris and also much further south Toulouse/Bordeaux - can't speak for other areas.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sun May 09, 2021 7:16 am

In Normandy certainly all roundabouts are give way to traffic on the roundabout. The only problem is that the French still have a habit of sticking to the right hand lane round the roundabout even when going round to the nine o'clock exit

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sun May 09, 2021 3:06 pm

'Vous n'avez pas la priorite' is now the rule approaching most roundabouts, if there are road markings.
In the absence of road markings 'priorite a droit' is still the rule.

The most important thing to remember is the yellow and black priority sign. If it is hollow you have priority, with a black line, you do not. It is a sign you must not miss

Notably exceptions are the Place de L' Arc de Triomphe in Paris and the avenues surrounding it (for anyone mad enough to drive in central Paris).
It is thought that road markings/signage spoil the atmosphere so they are not there. I honestly tend to agree and the priority system works very well indeed (at very least it is entertaining to watch or be part of the action).
Last edited by sussex2 on Sun May 09, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sun May 09, 2021 3:30 pm

The standard of driving in the Pyrenees area (France or Spain) is generally high. I think very high on account of the awful weather for 8 months of the year.

Drivers are generally polite and pedestrians have the absolute priority, expect people to stop for them at short notice; even sometimes when the traffic has a green light (if you are turning at a light controlled junction the pedestrians crossing the road you are turning into will have a green light).
Cyclists are given a much wider berth than is usual in the UK.
Motorcyclists thank you if you move over for them - a leg stuck out.

The roads in the area are heavily policed so you may well be stopped. The officers (French or Spanish) are invariably polite and most concerned with drug trafficking. There are many speed traps.

The area has some stunning scenery and friendly people, good food and plenty of small breweries for beer fans. The roads are generally of a high quality and very well marked.

Our favourite pub when in the area:

http://www.refubirreria.com/

Return to “General Chat”