Can anyone advise please? France

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
BobG

Can anyone advise please? France

Postby BobG » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:59 pm

Hi everyone

The boiling weather today has reminded me there is a question to which I would very much appreciate the answer. Next May I am off for a drive down through France to the Pryenees. As I have an LED lit Audi R8 what is the position with regard to the rquirement to carry a spare set of bulbs whilst in France? What spare bulb(s), if any, do I need to carry with me? Mind you, I wouldn't have a clue how to fit one if an LED did blow up.

Obviously I'm aware of warning triangles, breath test kits and hi viz jacket. It's the bulbs I'm stumped on.

Cheers everyone

BobG

Horse

Re: Can anyone advise please? France

Postby Horse » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:53 am

I have LED lighting on my SEAT (and very good too). I read it was £1k to replace a headlamp unit, so I wouldn't be taking a spare for both left and right front units.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

kfae8959

Postby kfae8959 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:00 am

It's not a legal requirement, just a recommendation. Since you've got LEDs, you would not expect them to fail as you might a filament bulb.

Full advice for driving in France is on the AA website: https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/country-by-country/france-and-monaco#compulsory.

David

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:05 am

I suspect it's one of those legacy regulations that date back to when most cars had easily replaceable bulbs. It's been overtaken by events rather. I go to France quite regularly and carry one of those little spare bulb kits (not sure whether any of them actually fit the Saab Aero ... )

angus

Postby angus » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:37 pm

Alternatively, just carry a bulb kit anyway. Doubt they'll check they're the right bulbs for your car.

You don't need the breath test kits either - there's no penalty for not having them.

Enjoy the Pyrenees - we walked le Chemin de la Liberté last year

BobG

Postby BobG » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:50 pm

Thank you one and all. That's really helpful. Clearly I've been misadvised in some aspects haven't I? I'll go look at that AA site now. Thanks again.

BobG

BobG

Postby BobG » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:46 pm

Lol. Been a long time since this thread last moved, but, given continuing events, the trip to enjoy both some of the passes in the Pyrenees and the Millau Viaduct has been postponed 12 months. Looks like May 30th 2022 is the start date now. I gotta confess though, the idea of that damn bridge sacares the living daylights out of me!

BobG

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:49 am

The roads around it are lovely for a drive. When I was last there I never drove across the bridge itself but went down into the town for lunch and crossed the river in the valley.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:43 am

BobG wrote:Hi everyone

The boiling weather today has reminded me there is a question to which I would very much appreciate the answer. Next May I am off for a drive down through France to the Pryenees. As I have an LED lit Audi R8 what is the position with regard to the rquirement to carry a spare set of bulbs whilst in France? What spare bulb(s), if any, do I need to carry with me? Mind you, I wouldn't have a clue how to fit one if an LED did blow up.

Obviously I'm aware of warning triangles, breath test kits and hi viz jacket. It's the bulbs I'm stumped on.

Cheers everyone

BobG

You will not be required to carry replacement bulbs.
Breath test kits are a bit pasé as the fine is only about 10e.
HiViz jackets for every passenger.

Be aware that the requirement for a triangle is changing in Spain (not until 2024) to beacons.

Where are you going in the Pirineos as we spend the summers in Viehla to escape the humidity and oppressive heat of the coastal cities.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:01 am

The only thing to remember in France (and Germany also) is 'Priorite a droit' which in both countries is ingrained.

Return to “General Chat”