20mph alternatives

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
sussex2
Posts: 732
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:43 am

Re: 20mph alternatives

Postby sussex2 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:53 am

Strangely Brown wrote:
sussex2 wrote:When I lived in Sussex a lot of villagers in Ditchling complained of cars speeding through the place.
The police set up speed traps and caught mostly? The villagers speeding through.


The only place that I can accept people speeding in Ditchling is on the roads out of it and that's because they have been sitting in near stationary traffic for the last 30 minutes and picking their way through.

Ditchling is a really nice little village but I would not have said it is a place where anyone can travel at speed through it.


This was before the traffic calming measures.

Triquet
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:32 pm
Location: Occupied North Berkshire

Re: 20mph alternatives

Postby Triquet » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:21 am

The last time I went through Ditchling was before they invented the M25 ... and that was SLOW
Last edited by Triquet on Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Strangely Brown
Posts: 1010
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:06 pm
Location: Sussex

Re: 20mph alternatives

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:36 pm

sussex2 wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:
sussex2 wrote:When I lived in Sussex a lot of villagers in Ditchling complained of cars speeding through the place.
The police set up speed traps and caught mostly? The villagers speeding through.


The only place that I can accept people speeding in Ditchling is on the roads out of it and that's because they have been sitting in near stationary traffic for the last 30 minutes and picking their way through.

Ditchling is a really nice little village but I would not have said it is a place where anyone can travel at speed through it.


This was before the traffic calming measures.


That would be a very long time ago then. :)

Ditchling has a natural traffic calming in that it is so damned narrow that it takes concentration to drive through normally and a great deal of cooperation if anything appears the other way... which is pretty much all the time.

The 20mph and calming on Lewes Rd to the east, past the school is absolutely fine and the only place where a speed above 20 was ever seen, although I did hear tell of an old man somewhere near the village that claims to have seen a car travelling "at speed". I think this may be just folklore.

Another Bill
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:38 pm

Re: 20mph alternatives

Postby Another Bill » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:14 pm

Well I gather from our village notice board that the PC have requested a 20mph limit.

Many of those supporting 20mph limits seem to be doing so as simply an anti-car vote, they’d like us all to be using E-scooters or bicycles. Even if journeys were short enough for that to be practical, it involves throwing away all the evolved safety advantages of seat belts, air bags, crumple zones, etc - how can anybody seriously think that will reduce casualties?

Me? When not a motorist I don’t cycle as I prefer a vehicle with above mentioned safety apparatus, but I’m a fairly enthusiastic pedestrian, recently averaging more than usual, about 5-10 miles a day on foot. That’s also a lot more dangerous than it used to be owing to vehicular traffic (scooters and bicycles) being apportioned dual-use of many footways. Progress? I despair.

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 3526
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: 20mph alternatives

Postby Horse » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:11 pm

Another Bill wrote:Well I gather from our village notice board that the PC have requested a 20mph limit.

Many of those supporting 20mph limits seem to be doing so as simply an anti-car vote, they’d like us all to be using E-scooters .


Submit your support.

Note that it's an ideal '2 for 1' opportunity, as they can also stop all the illegal electric scooter usage at the same time. Potentially, illegal parking, illegal phone use, illegal [add more examples], crackdown on drink driving ...

Sooner or later you'll get to include things that everyone road user does. And all the in favour voters might reconsider.

But point out that adjusting speed to the circumstances is something that everyone has the ability to do - if they take personal responsibility to do so.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

sussex2
Posts: 732
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:43 am

Re: 20mph alternatives

Postby sussex2 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:16 am

Strangely Brown wrote:
sussex2 wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:
sussex2 wrote:When I lived in Sussex a lot of villagers in Ditchling complained of cars speeding through the place.
The police set up speed traps and caught mostly? The villagers speeding through.


The only place that I can accept people speeding in Ditchling is on the roads out of it and that's because they have been sitting in near stationary traffic for the last 30 minutes and picking their way through.

Ditchling is a really nice little village but I would not have said it is a place where anyone can travel at speed through it.


This was before the traffic calming measures.


That would be a very long time ago then. :)

Ditchling has a natural traffic calming in that it is so damned narrow that it takes concentration to drive through normally and a great deal of cooperation if anything appears the other way... which is pretty much all the time.

The 20mph and calming on Lewes Rd to the east, past the school is absolutely fine and the only place where a speed above 20 was ever seen, although I did hear tell of an old man somewhere near the village that claims to have seen a car travelling "at speed". I think this may be just folklore.


I ran a chauffering business in the area in the 80s before the calming islands were built.
To my mind a village should have a shop, in which you buy useful things, and a decent pub. It is sad that Ditchling has neither so barely scrapes in as a village.
The only villagey thing about it is that the Council Houses are situated on the outskirts!
I make no excuses for my disdain for the place :D

Another Bill
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:38 pm

Re: 20mph alternatives

Postby Another Bill » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:10 am

I see our village consultation results have been published.

Retain 30mph - 43 votes
Move to 20mph - 33 votes.

Village population is 500-800 depending on who you ask.

I believe the guidance from currently elected executive is that 20mph limits will go ahead where there is ‘local support’. I assume the 20mph limit will now be approved, on the grounds that 33 people showed their support?

Triquet
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:32 pm
Location: Occupied North Berkshire

Re: 20mph alternatives

Postby Triquet » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:43 pm

I fear it is inevitable.

vanman
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:16 pm
Location: Caterham Surrey

Re: 20mph alternatives

Postby vanman » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:30 am

Had a little run out over the south down yesterday, :car: trying to avoid the dreaded d A27 (used to commute it often in the past). I took to the B2116 through Ditchling, Hurstpierpoint etc. Ok a bit slow, however I did find that there was a little hamlet Westmeston with a national speed limit through it, the unbelievable tight righthander was a bit of a surprise, :shock: crazy!

One thing I have noticed recently in ANY 20 mph limit areas pedestrians seem to think they have the right just to wander across in front of traffic however far away it is. Recent examples being in Westerham, Hurestpierpoint and certain roads in Croydon. I suppose this is justifies the limit in the first place so the limitations will continue. Career opportunities for men with red flags look very possible. :soap:

Another Bill
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:38 pm

Re: 20mph alternatives

Postby Another Bill » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:10 pm

I’ve been spending a great deal of time walking this past few months, in an effort to get fit - with some success. And personally, when i am a pedestrian, I detest unnecessary speed limits.

Nothing and nobody will convince me to cross in front of an oncoming vehicle. It’s hard to assess a vehicle’s speed with any certainty and anyway, it might be unexpectedly accelerating, and it’s hard to be certain that the driver has seen me, or cares. So I wait til it has passed then cross behind it, no matter what the authors of latest HC may say on the matter. Same applies if I need to step onto the roadway, say, to pass some obstruction.

And the lower the limit, the longer the vehicle takes to pass, simply causing a frustrating delay in getting across or along the road . This applies not just to 20s, but also to many 30mph roads that could safely be 40 or higher. I’m much happier if traffic is allowed to pass at a sensible speed, though I try to give a friendly smile and wave of gratitude to drivers and riders that move out a little to give me more space when the footway’s narrow or non existent. Surprisingly perhaps, I generally find white delivery van drivers to be most courteous in that respect, with SUVs around school pickup time being the most scary.


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests