Oh deary me ...

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Triquet

Oh deary me ...

Postby Triquet » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:26 am

Strangely Brown

Re: Oh deary me ...

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:39 am

Triquet wrote:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11088903/Council-hits-brakes-60mph-country-road-speed-limit-drivers-slow-20mph.html

The last paragraph is important.

"According to the Department for Transport, councils must take into account whether 'local needs and conditions suggest a speed limit which is different from the respective national speed limit'."

That suggest that they would have to show how those specific roads are different to all of the other NSL roads.

Also:

"Surrey and Sussex police are said to be in favour of the scheme, but said it relied on drivers complying."

So, no official statement to that effect and the wiggle words suggest "not really" because it's unenforceable.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:44 am

The problem is once this sort of thing is aired, there is all sorts of local pressure ....

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:29 pm

Triquet wrote:The problem is once this sort of thing is aired, there is all sorts of local pressure ....

Many years ago and Ditchling in Sussex (purely IMO a faux village with very few 'village people').
The locals complained about cars speeding through the village and the police set up speed traps.
Who did the police catch? The locals of course, speeding through the village.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:15 pm

No more advanced driving or riding in Surrey Hills, then, so will local groups disband?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:48 pm

I’m not entirely sure that neds on cheap motorbikes and bangers, that they intend to set fire to, are likely to take much notice of a lowered speed limit. It is not clear if these individuals are the ones responsible for the 57% of road deaths that occur on rural roads, or if the change in speed limit is a reaction to noise and the perception of the risk that their speed presents.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:13 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
Triquet wrote:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11088903/Council-hits-brakes-60mph-country-road-speed-limit-drivers-slow-20mph.html

The last paragraph is important.

"According to the Department for Transport, councils must take into account whether 'local needs and conditions suggest a speed limit which is different from the respective national speed limit'."

That suggest that they would have to show how those specific roads are different to all of the other NSL roads.

Also:

"Surrey and Sussex police are said to be in favour of the scheme, but said it relied on drivers complying."

So, no official statement to that effect and the wiggle words suggest "not really" because it's unenforceable.

Sadly, it doesn't. While that might be what DfT says, from my previous engagements with South Glos council, they can just ignore all of that and do whatever they want, and there's no actual way to make them comply with the government intent.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:50 pm

Jonquirk wrote:I’m not entirely sure that neds on cheap motorbikes and bangers, that they intend to set fire to, are likely to take much notice of a lowered speed limit. It is not clear if these individuals are the ones responsible for the 57% of road deaths that occur on rural roads, or if the change in speed limit is a reaction to noise and the perception of the risk that their speed presents.

The idea that oiks actually spend money on bangers and rag them around the Surrey hills with the intention of setting light to them is just a clipboard colin, probably a community speedwatch volunteer, having a rant and he doesn't know what he is talking about. Oiks might well be stealing cars and then burning them after a joyride but that is just common or garden criminality that has been around forever. It has nothing whatsoever to do with people speeding through villages and introducing blanket 20 zones will change nothing other than to piss off otherwise law-abiding drivers who will then ignore it and treat other limits in the area with equal contempt.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:17 pm

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:12 am

Sound like the AA is now doing the IAMs job :lol:

Return to “General Chat”