Bus Lanes

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
martine

Bus Lanes

Postby martine » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:32 pm

So a query via my IAM Associate...in the Highway Code it says:
"Unless otherwise indicated, you should not drive in a bus lane during its period of operation".

Note it says "should not" rather than "must not"...does that mean you can't be prosecuted for driving in a bus lane? (I think you can but I don't understand why!)
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

angus

Re: Bus Lanes

Postby angus » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:46 pm

Thing is, much of the HC is advice, not instruction/law

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:46 pm

if you don't wish to get a fine ... you should not drive in a bus lane during its period of operation
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:18 pm

The bus lanes in Guildford are going 24/7 and getting cameras to catch anyone flouting the rules.

One has been suspended, with signs saying “bus lane suspended, use both lanes”. Almost all traffic is driving down the right lane and ignoring the old bus lane. It’s as if I have my own private lane.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:55 pm

martine wrote:So a query via my IAM Associate...in the Highway Code it says:
"Unless otherwise indicated, you should not drive in a bus lane during its period of operation".

Note it says "should not" rather than "must not"...does that mean you can't be prosecuted for driving in a bus lane? (I think you can but I don't understand why!)

You missed off the rest of the rule "You may enter a bus lane to stop, to load or unload where this is not prohibited."

You'll note that HWC 141 has no reference to laws. I'm guessing, but do not categorically know, that this is due to the enforcement being entirely in the realm of the local council. Can you get points for using a bus lane?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:31 pm

Hi

No it is a civil penalty raised by the local authority, no points. There is a 100 meter bus lane in Manchester on a main road where a large number of Learners turn right across the traffic to drive to the test centre. The revenue from the camera on this lane pays the city councils chief execs teams wages all year. My wife reckons it worth paying the £30 rather than be stuck there for 20 mins or so waiting for half a dozen learners to turn right. :roll: Its her money so I don't care :lol:
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:18 pm

exportmanuk wrote:No it is a civil penalty raised by the local authority, no points.

I went away and looked up the legislation.

It states that a civil charge can only be applied if a Fixed penalty Notice hasn't already been issued.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:43 pm

In Oxford, what with bus lanes, cycle lanes, and traffic calming, there ain't much tarmac left ...

mainbeam

Postby mainbeam » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:22 pm

Non-endorsable offence of failing to comply with a traffic sign.

Return to “General Chat”