LastPass alternative?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
crr003
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: LastPass alternative?

Postby crr003 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:56 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:I use 1Password, but not the subscription service.
....

I looked at their website and it appears to be a paid service now for anything? If I have to pay, probably stick with LastPass. Better the devil....

User avatar
RiK
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:32 pm
Location: Gloucestershire..
Contact:

Re: LastPass alternative?

Postby RiK » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:57 am

jont- wrote::No guarantee bitwarden won't go down the same route


Bitwarden is open source and their whole ethos is to avoid holding their users to ransom...
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM Training Officer. IAM Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer

User avatar
Strangely Brown
Posts: 711
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:06 pm
Location: Sussex

Re: LastPass alternative?

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:48 am

The free version of Bitwarden does not support TOTP so you'll need a separate app for that.

There are many free solutions, any one of which may meet the OP's needs, but if you want a full featured solution then, unfortunately, you have to pay. That does not mean that you have to go down a subscription route or host your data in "their cloud" but you there is a cost.

Think about what you are dealing with and what you are protecting and weigh that against the cost of the software. Developers have to eat too. :)

crr003
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: LastPass alternative?

Postby crr003 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:08 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:The free version of Bitwarden does not support TOTP so you'll need a separate app for that.

There are many free solutions, any one of which may meet the OP's needs, but if you want a full featured solution then, unfortunately, you have to pay. That does not mean that you have to go down a subscription route or host your data in "their cloud" but you there is a cost.

Think about what you are dealing with and what you are protecting and weigh that against the cost of the software. Developers have to eat too. :)

Talking of Top of the Pops, I'm getting all sorts of Pan's People and Legs & Co. videos showing up on YouTube and I haven't been looking. Must be an age thing in their algorithm.
PS, I understand TOTP doesn't mean that!

User avatar
Strangely Brown
Posts: 711
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:06 pm
Location: Sussex

Re: LastPass alternative?

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:04 am

As I am sure you already know, but for the benefit of others who may not:

TOTP - Time-based One-Time Passwords - Fairly ubiquitous for 2FA, which you should be using if it is available, and it is greatly eased by a password manager that supports it well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-base ... e_Password

It is known in BitWarden as "Authenticator Keys"...
https://bitwarden.com/help/article/authenticator-keys/

...but not available in the free version.

There is a lot of superb free software out there, much of it far superior to commercial offerings, and, all else being equal, I would choose the zero-cost option every time. However, in some areas, functionality and convenience costs.

You pays yer money, you takes yer choice.

crr003
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: LastPass alternative?

Postby crr003 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:23 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:As I am sure you already know, but for the benefit of others who may not:

TOTP - Time-based One-Time Passwords - Fairly ubiquitous for 2FA, which you should be using if it is available, and it is greatly eased by a password manager that supports it well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-base ... e_Password

It is known in BitWarden as "Authenticator Keys"...
https://bitwarden.com/help/article/authenticator-keys/

...but not available in the free version.

There is a lot of superb free software out there, much of it far superior to commercial offerings, and, all else being equal, I would choose the zero-cost option every time. However, in some areas, functionality and convenience costs.

You pays yer money, you takes yer choice.

How important is TOTP as I don't think I've used it?
I went from keeping a bit of paper under my keyboard with a couple of well used passwords on, to using LastPass with lots of relatively complex unique(ish) passwords, to turning on 2FA where possible, which required me receiving a text on my 'phone with a secondary code to enter or confirm it's me on another device.
Is TOTP just another level of protection?

User avatar
Strangely Brown
Posts: 711
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:06 pm
Location: Sussex

Re: LastPass alternative?

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:05 pm

TOTP is a second factor. It is most commonly seen as something like the "Google Authenticator" app or the Microsoft equivalent but you may also have seen some people use an RSA keyfob which displays a six digit code that updates every 30 seconds. They are all TOTP.

Sending a code to your phone is just a different form of the "second factor" but they are both OTP (one-time passwords).

There is often a choice of second factor available to the end-user so you should pick whichever works best for you and the importance is much more that you have 2FA (where available) than the type.

crr003
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: LastPass alternative?

Postby crr003 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:25 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:TOTP is a second factor. It is most commonly seen as something like the "Google Authenticator" app or the Microsoft equivalent but you may also have seen some people use an RSA keyfob which displays a six digit code that updates every 30 seconds. They are all TOTP.

Sending a code to your phone is just a different form of the "second factor" but they are both OTP (one-time passwords).

There is often a choice of second factor available to the end-user so you should pick whichever works best for you and the importance is much more that you have 2FA (where available) than the type.

Thanks.
I had one of those RSA things back in the mid 90s - dialling in at 9.6 kbps. The good old days.

User avatar
jont-
Posts: 1290
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Re: LastPass alternative?

Postby jont- » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:31 pm

Well, a few days into Bitwarden and it seems to be working well for me. Only niggle is that I haven't found a way to get it to autopopulate forms in the way Lastpass would, I have to click on the browser extension button to copy the password.

Also, while Lastpass would cache your browser master password login for a number of days, BW prompts each time I restart the browser. Still, it's probably worth $10 a year so I'll probably pay up for premium.

crr003
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: LastPass alternative?

Postby crr003 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:02 pm

jont- wrote:Well, a few days into Bitwarden and it seems to be working well for me. Only niggle is that I haven't found a way to get it to autopopulate forms in the way Lastpass would, I have to click on the browser extension button to copy the password.

Also, while Lastpass would cache your browser master password login for a number of days, BW prompts each time I restart the browser. Still, it's probably worth $10 a year so I'll probably pay up for premium.

I haven't tried BW yet but I'm leaning this way. Does this page help - it implies an auto fill option, or is this still not as slick as LastPass auto fill?
https://bitwarden.com/help/article/auto-fill-browser/

Just found this implying you can turn off the master password requirement?
"Optional: The pre-checked option Lock with master password on restart will require you to enter your Master Password instead of a PIN when your app restarts. If you want to be able to unlock with a PIN when your app restarts, uncheck this option."


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests