New rules in Spain

Advanced Driving across Europe
sussex2
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:43 am

Re: New rules in Spain

Postby sussex2 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:46 pm

jont- wrote:
sussex2 wrote:We escape the summer heat up there at Vielha and outside the ski season it is quiet and relaxed. The river Garonne flows through the town on its way to Bordeaux and the sea.
There are hot water springs and a very decent real ale bar in town - website below.
Some hotels specialise in bikers and have secure lock ups for their machines - website below.
The general standard of driving is high and I reckon because of the changeable weather.
It is a long way from the 'Costas' and a lovely part of Europe.
The people are sufficiently different and decent and friendly.

http://www.refubirreria.com/

https://www.hotelriunere.com/

Thanks, noted for next time I'm allowed to drive to the area. I preferred to stay in France since I speak (some) French but no spanish. If you like beers, the Brasserie-du-Venasque have some great beers and were available in the supermarkets in BdL.


Viehla is on the French side of the mountains and most people speak the language + Castillian/Catalan/Aranese.
A town called Bossost (Boozeost) is famed for the many shops selling vast amounts of booze and tobacco - the French often nip along for their weekend supplies.
I think we all look forward to when we can travel about again. We will happily settle for being able to move about Catalunya but, at the moment, must settle for the more restricted borders of our own municipality.
Keep fingers crossed.

sussex2
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:43 am

Re: New rules in Spain

Postby sussex2 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:33 pm

The rule that you cannot exceed the speed limit to overtake, on two way national speed limit roads, has been rescinded.
It is allowed to exceed the 90kph limit by 20kph in order to overtake.

User avatar
jont-
Posts: 1386
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Re: New rules in Spain

Postby jont- » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:53 pm

sussex2 wrote:The rule that you cannot exceed the speed limit to overtake, on two way national speed limit roads, has been rescinded.
It is allowed to exceed the 90kph limit by 20kph in order to overtake.

So if if 110kph is safe when doing something dangerous, why wouldn't it be safe at any other time? :soap:

sussex2
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:43 am

Re: New rules in Spain

Postby sussex2 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:40 am

jont- wrote:
sussex2 wrote:The rule that you cannot exceed the speed limit to overtake, on two way national speed limit roads, has been rescinded.
It is allowed to exceed the 90kph limit by 20kph in order to overtake.

So if if 110kph is safe when doing something dangerous, why wouldn't it be safe at any other time? :soap:


You are to pull back to a maximum of the limit once the overtake has been done.
The trouble is if you made the general speed limit 110 then everyone would do 130!
Why it was changed I don't know but I assume to avoid bunching of vehicles (everyone tagging along behind an HGV). The roads outside cities may be largely traffic free with some very long straight stretches.

The leeway for exceeding speed limits is generally 7% - this is a table produced by the DGT (Ministry of Transport)

https://trans.info/en/much-can-exceed-s ... mera-90766

For a short while many tolls on motorways have been scrapped; only until a more 'efficient' way of charging for them can be found.
The downside of this is that a lot of people are using them who previously did not. I have seen a few at 80kph steadfastly sticking to the centre lane! Despite a 200 euro fine if caught.

martine
Posts: 952
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:26 am

Re: New rules in Spain

Postby martine » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:15 am

jont- wrote:So if if 110kph is safe when doing something dangerous, why wouldn't it be safe at any other time? :soap:

:lol: good point Jon
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

sussex2
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:43 am

Re: New rules in Spain

Postby sussex2 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:28 pm

martine wrote:
jont- wrote:So if if 110kph is safe when doing something dangerous, why wouldn't it be safe at any other time? :soap:

:lol: good point Jon


Them's the rules.

User avatar
Strangely Brown
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:06 pm
Location: Sussex

Re: New rules in Spain

Postby Strangely Brown » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:14 pm

I rather think "them's the rules" misses the point that Jon was making.
The question stands.

sussex2
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:43 am

Re: New rules in Spain

Postby sussex2 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:14 am

Strangely Brown wrote:I rather think "them's the rules" misses the point that Jon was making.
The question stands.


It was also stated 'whilst doing something dangerous' which overtaking should not be. It increases risk of course but shouldn't be dangerous.
The rule is there and why I know not, but will try and find out the reason for the change from police.
Spain was the only EU country which allowed the excess (I believe) and they changed it and have now changed it back.

This gives an explanation:

https://www.thelocal.es/20211001/drivin ... by-20km-h/

User avatar
jont-
Posts: 1386
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Re: New rules in Spain

Postby jont- » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:00 pm

sussex2 wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:I rather think "them's the rules" misses the point that Jon was making.
The question stands.


It was also stated 'whilst doing something dangerous' which overtaking should not be. It increases risk of course but shouldn't be dangerous.
The rule is there and why I know not, but will try and find out the reason for the change from police.
Spain was the only EU country which allowed the excess (I believe) and they changed it and have now changed it back.

This gives an explanation:

https://www.thelocal.es/20211001/drivin ... by-20km-h/

It makes sense; in the UK it is very easy to be held up by someone sitting at 50-55mph on the straights, but who slows down unncessesarily for the corners. So either you have to speed to pass them safely, or extend your journey time, possibly significantly, while stuck behind them.

How much past the overtakee are you allowed to exceed the speed limit for? (just wondering if a pair of cooperative drivers could leapfrog each other all the way down the road - oncoming traffic permitting - thus allowing them do continue at a slightly higher average speed? :lol: :racing: )

mainbeam
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:32 am

Re: New rules in Spain

Postby mainbeam » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:12 am

Bicycles on a motorway?


Return to “Europe”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest