Technology leading to disengaged drivers

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
jont-

Technology leading to disengaged drivers

Postby jont- » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:35 am

https://newsroom.aaa.com/2019/12/long-t ... d-drivers/

It's going to be an interesting techno-battle as driver monitoring systems become more common place too - and yet all ignoring the science that humans are terrible at paying attention to monitoring activities. Almost as if it's a solution looking for a problem :hit: :soap:

vanman

Re: Technology leading to disengaged drivers

Postby vanman » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:51 am

Looks like those of us without the tech. will soon be pushed/taxed off the roads altogether. :cry: :gear:

martine

Postby martine » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:09 am

Yes I agree it's a problem but probably not insurmountable I would suggest. Aviation has autopilot and civil commercial aviation has an excellent safety record (e.g. the last fatality from an aircraft leaving Heathrow was in 1972!).

Obviously commercial pilots have lots of training and are themselves monitored regularly but if the car 'auto' systems are designed properly with human factors taken into account, I can see it improving road safety.

There will still be mistakes, collisions and injury but overall I would suggest it will be better.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:34 pm

Aviation seems a particularly dubious example to cite where a change can be made to a vehicle (type), it's operation in extremis not explained properly to the operator and it go on to kill hundreds of people (737Max if you hadn't got it by now). So if a world as thoroughly regulated as aviation can get it wrong, what hope is there for cars? We don't see any training requirement changes for drivers - even if the 'L' test has got some updates of dubious value, there's certainly no further training of existing license holders.

And in aviation, any accidents are thoroughly investigated, lessons learned and communicated. I don't see that happening with road accidents.

martine

Postby martine » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:58 pm

You are quoting one accident but aviation overall has an excellent, unsurpassed transport safety record. Very different scenarios between aviation and cars but it shows what can be done even with automation.

I agree things could always be better both for aviation and cars.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

angus

Postby angus » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:01 pm

martine wrote:Yes I agree it's a problem but probably not insurmountable I would suggest. Aviation has autopilot and civil commercial aviation has an excellent safety record (e.g. the last fatality from an aircraft leaving Heathrow was in 1972!).

Obviously commercial pilots have lots of training and are themselves monitored regularly but if the car 'auto' systems are designed properly with human factors taken into account, I can see it improving road safety.

There will still be mistakes, collisions and injury but overall I would suggest it will be better.

So long as Boeing aren't involved :roll:

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:19 pm

Not for nothing were A320s called the "John Wayne aeroplane" in their early life.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:30 am

martine wrote: aviation overall has an excellent, unsurpassed transport safety record. Very different scenarios between aviation and cars but it shows what can be done.

I've deliberately cut 'with automation', because what aviation does very well is to separate cause from blame.

In the UK we're moving closer to towards having a road accident investigation board, to do the same.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

martine

Postby martine » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:42 pm

dvenman wrote:Not for nothing were A320s called the "John Wayne aeroplane" in their early life.

I've not heard that - what does it mean?

RiK

Postby RiK » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:00 pm

martine wrote:I've not heard that - what does it mean?

https://www.indiewire.com/2016/02/watch ... ne-174857/

William Wellman’s soap opera in the sky is the granddaddy of disaster films, in particular Airport and its many sequels. John Wayne plays the harried pilot who experiences more than his share of turbulence including jealous husbands and an airliner that is slowly dismantling itself.
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

Return to “Technology”