Built-in car breathalysers and speed limiters will save countless lives

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
waremark

Built-in car breathalysers and speed limiters will save countless lives

Postby waremark » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:37 pm

So says the IAM, welcoming implementation of the requirement for all new cars to have them from 2022. Countless - could mean anything, but probably intended to mean a lot, in which case I doubt it.

The speed limiters are at least initially to be voluntary. Who believes that the technology telling the car the current speed limit is reliable enough even for a voluntary device? I now appreciate having an in car speed limit display (we have it in three of our cars) but it does sometimes make mistakes.

There was a particularly good implementation in a hire car I drove for a week. The car had a head up display, and on the head up display the current speed was displayed alongside the limit, with a colour change and increase in boldness if the current speed was over the limit. I think it made me more compliant - but not safer!

As for the breathalysers, the IAM think they should only be required in cars driven by those previously convicted of drink driving. I am not sure how that would work for cars driven by drink drivers and others, or for former drink drivers who drive a range of vehicles.

Horse

Re: Built-in car breathalysers and speed limiters will save countless lives

Postby Horse » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:37 am

IIRC, when Highways England were trialling '55' through the M3 roadworks, someone said that their Audi didn't recognise it!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:40 am

Given the lag in database updates, temporary speed limits and the fact that local authorities are no longer required to maintain speed limit terminal signs or repeaters, how can this ever work?

As for the breathalysers, Mark has already covered it.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:33 pm

So you just mash the throttle the floor everywhere then - simples!?
Nick

vanman

Postby vanman » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:51 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:So you just mash the throttle the floor everywhere then - simples!?

Especially if the breathalyser says your ok to drive. :evil:

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:27 pm

If you need one (breathalysers) to decide if you can drive, then perhaps you need to review your priorities. (Collective you).
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “Technology”