Speed limiters mandatory from 2022?

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
GTR1400MAN

Re: Speed limiters mandatory from 2022?

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:12 am

Strangely Brown wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:Because the technology has got it wrong and the speed limit is 60 and not the 40 the car thinks it is.

That does not need WOT. A good shove, maybe, but push right through to the floor? Really? And what do you think will happen when people do that on a damp/greasy road surface, or when crossing paint, in a lower gear?

In my car the only way to overcome the limiter is to floor it (you can then lift).

Strangely Brown wrote:That probably does need WOT, but you're likely still under the limit so the point is moot.

This week was on a 30 mph country road, the car appeared around the corner at around 40-45. A big handful in 1st gear saw me hit 60. If I'd been in my car I'd never have accelerated fast enough to not be hit. :(
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:27 am

Horse wrote:
I know what you mean, however on a powered two wheeler the temptation to close the throttle has the effect of altering the balance onto the front wheel, so loading that tyre more than it would be if the bike is under power.

Agreed..slight pause to settle balance prior to crossing paint helps, but no guarantees. Your next quote may happen.

Horse wrote: the front slides it's 'hello road' (unless you're skilled / lucky).

Many decades ago I was riding a scooter over London Bridge, in the middle of the road during rush hour, and the front wheel slipped away. Somehow I jumped over the handlebars, landed on my feet, stopped after some paces. Then had to retrace my steps to the fallen scooter much to the amusement of the bowler hated, brolly wielding city gents on their way to work. :oops:

vanman

Postby vanman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:55 pm

The tassels were probably too long. :lol:

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:44 pm

vanman wrote:The tassels were probably too long. :lol:

You never know! :lol:

Return to “Technology”