Speed limiters mandatory from 2022?

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
vanman

Re: Speed limiters mandatory from 2022?

Postby vanman » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:44 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:So everyone will be driving like a lorry driver all the time ... on the limiter. :o Very safe! :evil:

Having to hire a replacement transit van for work found that it was limited to 65/70mph. Totally unsafe, in the way of faster traffic :oops: and unable to overtake slower stuff with any haste. :x Sadly even 2020 cars will have the technology already in place, as a safety feature nodoubt, just like when airbags were introduced. The result of which causes insurance companies to right off perfectly good cars because of the expense of replaceing them. So putting up premiums! :bash:

dave51

Postby dave51 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:44 pm

Even if it could be made to work adequately, will it not encourage the dumbing down of the act of driving?
The is already a significant cohort of "drivers" that consider themselves safe when observing the limits and pay scant attention to conditions - these are more important to safety than arbitrary limits which are increasingly imposed for political rather than safety reasons.

RiK

Postby RiK » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:26 pm

And just to add insult to injury, the IAM have come out in full support of this on Facebook...

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/media-and- ... life-saver
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:38 am

RiK wrote:And just to add insult to injury, the IAM have come out in full support of this on Facebook...

Grrrrrr.

Just commented on there.

"Really? ISA. Why am I working as an Observer for you and paying to be a member when you come out with rubbish like this? ISA will lead to roads full of drivers driving 'on the limiter' in the belief they are safe. How often are GPS systems incorrect with their database of what the posted limit is? The limit isn't the safe speed for the road any way. Ever been stuck behind two trucks 'elephant racing' on a dual carriageway? Now imagine this happening regularly on A and B roads with cars trying to pass each other. Or is that the next step, ban overtaking as well? We are seriously sleepwalking into a mad world of automation with NO THOUGHT for the consequences. When I joined the IAM it was about Advanced Riding and Driving. At some point in the last 20 years it has morphed into an organisation that just seems to parrot the 'speed kills' and any other 'road safety' initiative the government wants to promote. YOU should still be promoting and fighting for better driver training/education and higher standard of driving/riding with individual responsibility. Looking at the comments there seems to be a MASSIVE disconnect between HQ and its members. Really, really disappointed and angry at this!!"
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

angus

Postby angus » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:36 pm

Mike, I fully agree. Which is why I'm no longer an observer or even a member. If they want to promote these ideas they can do so without my finacial endorsement

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:32 pm

ISA is one thing, but the suggested version allows driver override. More ominously.............

"Under the new rules, cars will also be fitted with compulsory data recorders, or "black boxes".

So if you have an accident, the police and your insurance company will know whether you've been going too fast. If you've been keeping your foot down and routinely ignoring the car's warnings, they may take a very dim view of your actions.

In fact, it's this "spy on board" which may ultimately have a bigger impact on driver behaviour than any kind of speed limiter. It's easy to get away with reckless driving when there's only a handful of traffic cops around to stop you. Much harder when there's a spy in the cab recording your every move."

From the BBC though.....https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:37 pm

crr003 wrote:In fact, it's this "spy on board" which may ultimately have a bigger impact on driver behaviour than any kind of speed limiter. It's easy to get away with reckless driving when there's only a handful of traffic cops around to stop you. Much harder when there's a spy in the cab recording your every move."[/color]

From the BBC though.....https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415

If you're routinely driving fast and not crashing though, doesn't that demonstrate a level of competence? I'd be more worried about the people dithering their way around and /still/ having accidents :twisted:

martine

Postby martine » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:22 pm

RiK wrote:And just to add insult to injury, the IAM have come out in full support of this on Facebook...

Not quite 'full support':

Neil Greig, IAM RoadSmart director of policy and research, said: “It should be remembered that excessive speeding is a factor in 14% of fatal crashes whereas human error is present in 64%. Speed limiters have a role to play but on their own cannot eliminate all crashes.

“Advanced drivers don’t need to be reminded electronically what the speed limit is, but for others it could be a real life-saver, and help people not lose their driving licences at the same time.

“ISA as proposed for all new cars after 2022 will be overrideable so it is not the ‘big brother’ solution that some sources suggest.

...but it's a shame they are not more critical.
Last edited by martine on Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

martine

Postby martine » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:39 pm

Also from the BBC website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415

"...The system can be overridden temporarily. If a car is overtaking a lorry on a motorway and enters a lower speed-limit area, the driver can push down hard on the accelerator to complete the manoeuvre.

A full on/off switch for the system is also envisaged, but this would lapse every time the vehicle is restarted."

So although annoying, it doesn't seem as bad as some have envisaged...at least at the start...
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

hir

Postby hir » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:53 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:

... Why am I working as an Observer for you and paying to be a member when you come out with rubbish like this?

I share your pain. But I have a way of mitigating the frustration, irritation and exasperation. :)

I do not regard myself, and never have, as "working for the IAM". I have always regarded myself as "working for the associate". So, as far as I'm concerned, the IAM is simply a means to an end in supplying me with a steady stream of members of the general public who wish to improve their driving skills. I'm more than happy to help those individuals and they're always grateful for the help and guidance I am able to offer. In that way I've managed to create a disconnect between myself and the silliness, which enables me to retain my sanity. This approach also helps to keep my blood pressure under control. :D

Just a thought.

Return to “Technology”