Aviva App?

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
Horse

Aviva App?

Postby Horse » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:57 pm

Anyone installed the Aviva insurance phone app, but without getting their insurance?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Re: Aviva App?

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:09 pm

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Trust no-one. If it 'phones home' who knows what it passes back to the insurance industry.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:09 pm

I'd like to get Foal on my car insurance at next renewal, with black box as one option. However, if it will penalise my driving then that isn't happening!

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:20 pm

My personal opinion is resist black boxes at all costs. Soon we will all be REQUIRED to have them if the insurance companies get enough people to install them voluntarily. :(
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

fungus

Postby fungus » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:27 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:My personal opinion is resist black boxes at all costs. Soon we will all be REQUIRED to have them if the insurance companies get enough people to install them voluntarily. :(

Here, here. Then the Government will jump on the band wagon.

Nigel

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:32 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:My personal opinion is resist black boxes at all costs. Soon we will all be REQUIRED to have them if the insurance companies get enough people to install them voluntarily. :(

Only if they work out the cost of installing is offset by reduced payouts.

I'm still of the opinion they should be required to demonstrate how they've chosen their thresholds for safe/unsafe.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:07 am

jont- wrote:

Only if they work out the cost of installing is offset by reduced payouts.

I'm still of the opinion they should be required to demonstrate how they've chosen their thresholds for safe/unsafe.

Hence why I want to test it while I'm insured elsewhere :)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:48 am

Horse wrote:Hence why I want to test it while I'm insured elsewhere :)

But they share everything.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:17 am

Horse wrote:Hence why I want to test it while I'm insured elsewhere :)

I've been tempted, but not figured out a way to anonymise my data/location/phone to my satisfaction. Even wondered about doing it for a Rospa resit, then sending them the examiners report. Maybe I should take it on a track day? :racing:

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:17 am

What data will you collect?
We collect your location information from the devices GPS. We do not have access to your 'real time' location, the data is only uploaded after the journey is complete, and you can choose not to use the app for a journey as you wish. Before we send you your score and apply any discount you've earned, we will ask for your name, date of birth, address and email address.

What will you do with my data?
The data we collect on your driving will be used to help us build an understanding of your driving behaviour and your individual risk. Using this information, we are then able to provide you with a quote specific to you. If your driving style shows you to be a safe driver, you could earn a discount. The data will also be used for our research purposes.

How secure is the data you collect?
The data we collect will adhere to the high standards that Aviva apply for all customer data collected which is governed by our Privacy Policy and Fair Processing Notice.

Who will you share my data with?
Your data will only be used by Aviva and partners in order to process your driving score. We will not share your information with any other third parties except where we are legally obliged to do so. To learn more please read our Privacy Policy and Fair Processing Notice.

How does the app work?
The app uses GPS on your smart phone to collect information on a number of different driving behaviours including how you brake, accelerate and corner. After 200 miles of recorded driving, we'll provide you with individual driver feedback and a drive score. This score may result in a safe driver discount.

My bolding.

If you think it is in anyway anonymous you need to look at the permissions the App requires and understand how cookies, data mining and tracking works (ever done any surveys on Facebook? ;) ). I wouldn't let it near my phone. The last bit confirms it is a glorified G force assessor. :(

Return to “Technology”