Drivers woefully overestimate hands-free driver tech, study shows

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...

jont-

Re: Drivers woefully overestimate hands-free driver tech, study shows

Postby jont- » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:42 am

I've long thought anyone who thinks these sub-autonomous systems are a good idea almost defacto proves they don't understand driving enough to be allowed to keep a license.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:35 am

I wonder where these drivers would get the idea the car is more than capable?

Marketing men are so detached from the guys who design and build the products being sold (this is true in many ways, not just cars)

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:06 am

Several years ago, Vauxhall had a tv ad stating that the [human driven] car could cope with 'impossible conditions'. Really?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:57 am

Horse wrote:Several years ago, Vauxhall had a tv ad stating that the [human driven] car could cope with 'impossible conditions'. Really?

Insignia
1:15
https://youtu.be/D0Bp6I8fa2A
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:32 pm

On one of the long and windy and almost traffic free dual carriages in north eastern Spain I tried out the intelligent speed control, lane keeping and separation on a new Peugeot 2008.
It worked very well indeed and why? Because the roads are well surfaced and marked and all the signs and technology comply with the latest rules.
The thing even worked on some of the more crowded roads closer to Barcelona.
I wouldn't use it all the time but it is there and yes it does work, sometimes.
As all these things it is a tool to me used as and when.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:14 pm

I tried the Lane Keeping Assistance on my car last week. The road, whilst in good condition and well marked, was wet. The system was woefully bad to the point of being dangerous - were it left to its own devices. I think it just couldn't see wet road markings.

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:57 pm

For the first time (after having the car for 18 months) I tried out the Adaptive Speed Limiter on my Jaguar today, through variable limits on the M25. Before using the adaptive system I was using the speed limiter set for an indicated 3 mph over the limit, to achieve a true speed close to the limit. After switching on the Adaptive System it changed the set speed for the first few changes accurately as I went under the gantries. Each time it changed, I moved it up 3 mph or so manually. Had I not been using the adaptive system I would have started to adjust my speed (in either direction, I must admit) before getting to the sign for the new speed - so two fails for the system so far as I was concerned. But then the killer - I passed an exit where there was a speed limit of 50 mph on the exit, and the limit on the main carriageway was still 70 mph. Stupidly, I had not anticipated what happened - the car slowed sharply. Not immediately realising the reason, I pressed a bit harder on the accelerator, until realising that the limiter had changed to the limit on the exit I turned off the adaptive limiter, for what will be the last as well as the first time!

Other systems are better. Earlier, I wrote on here about using the adaptive speed system in a BMW, which was far better for two reasons - you could set a margin of indicated speed over the limit, and instead of changing automatically it flagged up the suggested new speed but did not implement it until or unless you pushed a button with your thumb. If I had that system I would probably use it.

Return to “Technology”