Best features to look for when buying a new car.

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
Horse

Re: Best features to look for when buying a new car.

Postby Horse » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:59 am

Gareth wrote:
Horse wrote:- Trouble remembering the last few miles driven

While I know what you mean, this struck me as funny as I try to leave past things in the past. I've been calling it "dwell time" -- how long I dwell on something instead of focusing on what I'm doing now and what's up ahead. Am finding it's harder to 'move on' these days, out of practice, I suppose.

Fair point, being in the moment rather than distracted. Although, I suppose there's two different ways that retrospective view can be used? Internal messages:
- "Well, you got that wrong! Bet you'll get it wrong again."
- "Ok, I realise what I did, I know what to do differently next time.

Also, being able to record and play a 'mental video' is often useful for training.

Caution: H war story
Out on an advanced session, I wanted the trainee to explain his views of a situation to me, to see how he had decided to do what he had.
"I don't try and remember what's happened, what's done is done" or similar.
In his adverts, he was 'one of the most highly qualified instructors in the South of England'.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:25 am

Horse wrote:I suppose there's two different ways that retrospective view can be used? Internal messages:

I remember something I think I heard kfae8959 saying, about 'dealing' with it by assigning marks out of ten.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:10 pm

Gareth wrote:
Horse wrote:I suppose there's two different ways that retrospective view can be used? Internal messages:

I remember something I think I heard kfae8959 saying, about 'dealing' with it by assigning marks out of ten.

Different ways of using that idea. You may have heard medicos asking people to rate their pain so helping, for example, to judge effectiveness of (or need for) medication.

It's also used in cognitive behavioural therapy.

For assessing driving, etc, you need to know [the proverbial] 'what good looks like'. Good becomes your 10 to score yourself against. Then recalibrate that as your idea of 'good' alters.

Like, for example, my idea of smooth driving. I thought that I was doing alright. Then you and John introduced hinting, so I recalibrated and spent year comparing (albeit not 'scoring') against the elements necessary. A medical example of using elements and scoring is the Glasgow Trauma Scale, which is a more detailed version of the first aid 'AVPU' scoring of alertness / responsiveness -alert, voice, pain, unresponsive.

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/nmp/sonet/ ... g-gcs.html

Using hinting as an example, break it into elements - as many as you like (more sub-elements as you get into refining. So, as an on the spot brain dump:

Braking
Throttle
Steering
Timing

Of which, Braking:
- Speed change
- Smooth on off

etc. If you don't want to score from 10, then you could use Always Usually Sometimes Never
Then, when your personal (or trainee') delivery is in the Usually bracket, look for inconsistencies that result in it sometimes not being 'right'.

^ That is 'formative' assessment, identifying where effort is needed (ie training etc). Simply giving a mark and saying "Here's your certificate" is 'summative' assessment.

waremark

Postby waremark » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:07 pm

jcochrane wrote:Nice read Mark. My car also has many of these useful features. I particularly like the head lights moving with the steering and the auto mode as you describe. Adaptive CC in heavy single lane traffic in London is a dream. Like you the only feature I don’t use is lane assist although I imagine, if suddenly caught out with drowsiness on a motorway, might help you get to the next service station safely.

Drowsiness is an interesting one - it is something I suffer from when driving on motorways. For me, the only solution is to stop and have a few minutes sleep. I generally set my phone timer for 15 minutes. These modern cars claim to have a feature for monitoring the driver for drowsiness. I have suffered from drowsiness while driving a car which claims to have such a system but have never experienced a drowsiness warning. The new car claims to give amber and red levels of warning. I shall hope never to need a red warning, but if I get an amber warning it is a good idea to turn on lane departure warning while waiting for a safe place to stop.

waremark

Postby waremark » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:10 pm

It is great chatting to you all. It is too long since sharing a drive with fellow enthusiasts.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:18 pm

waremark wrote: For me, the only solution is to stop and have a few minutes sleep.

It's the only thing that works. Coffee, winding the windows down, etc., are only delaying tactics.

waremark wrote: The new car claims to give amber and red levels of warning.

IIRC They are to be mandatory, along with systems to identify inattentiveness for some automated systems, but all are known to be fallible.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:33 pm

Horse wrote:

IIRC They are to be mandatory, along with systems to identify inattentiveness for some automated systems, but all are known to be fallible.

Presumably they're tuned for the average driver not to go off too often. Waremarks "time for a stop" level of driving may well still be above the average "fully paying attention, honest guv" (while fiddling with touch screen :roll: )

I still think 2 lane DCs need a technology to make people move left when they're not actively overtaking and have someone following.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:10 pm

jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:

Presumably they're tuned for the average driver not to go off too often. Waremarks "time for a stop" level of driving may well still be above the average

Could be :)

The presentation I saw was just a brief overview of what may be in the next round of EU Regs (so, technically, we might not get them).

Technologies included gaze direction (head turned away), eye direction, blink rate, head dipping, steering wheel activity (different on low and high speed roads).

But AFAIK no particular one mandated.

martine

Postby martine » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:58 pm

jont- wrote:I still think 2 lane DCs need a technology to make people move left when they're not actively overtaking and have someone following.

And motorways of course...I travelled about 50 miles from Worcester to Bristol yesterday early evening and it was reasonably quiet and in that time I came across probably 6 middle-lane-hoggers :roll:

I don't understand why people do it...is it lack of knowledge or can't be bothered/too selfish to move in to lane 1...or something else?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:05 pm

martine wrote:
jont- wrote:I still think 2 lane DCs need a technology to make people move left when they're not actively overtaking and have someone following.

And motorways of course...I travelled about 50 miles from Worcester to Bristol yesterday early evening and it was reasonably quiet and in that time I came across probably 6 middle-lane-hoggers :roll:

I don't understand why people do it...is it lack of knowledge or can't be bothered/too selfish to move in to lane 1...or something else?

The Man in the Japanese Hatchback still thinks in terms of Slow Lane, Fast Lane and The Other Lane.

Return to “Technology”