Best features to look for when buying a new car.

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
Horse

Re: Best features to look for when buying a new car.

Postby Horse » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:30 am

waremark wrote:it is supposed to cope with left and right parking for bays and parallel, and it operates throttle and brake as well as steering.

Is use of the system logged and video recorded, to help with sorting who is responsible to cover the costs if the system gets it wrong?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:23 am

Horse wrote:
waremark wrote:it is supposed to cope with left and right parking for bays and parallel, and it operates throttle and brake as well as steering.

Is use of the system logged and video recorded, to help with sorting who is responsible to cover the costs if the system gets it wrong?

I don't know about JLR, but Tesla log and record and feed back to HQ to supposedly improve things (the problem is, their idea of 'improve' is 'what the average driver does in a given situation' which isn't necessarily desirable behaviour for them to get the car to copy) Of course if they're actually at fault, you can expect a software 'fault' to mean the logs are missing. :roll:

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:08 pm

jont- wrote:I don't know about JLR, but Tesla log and record and feed back to HQ to supposedly improve things (the problem is, their idea of 'improve' is 'what the average driver does in a given situation' which isn't necessarily desirable behaviour for them to get the car to copy) :

Although it provides a benchmark.

When adaptive cruise control was introduced, I wondered how the following distance was determined. Was a shock to find that the driver decides.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:23 am

Horse wrote: When adaptive cruise control was introduced, I wondered how the following distance was determined. Was a shock to find that the driver decides.

On my car it is time gap not distance that you alter. I like to be able to increase the two second gap to something greater, particularly at speeds over 30mph. Also I like that, with a tap on the button on the steering column, views round the vehicle being followed can be improved.

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:06 am

jcochrane wrote:
Horse wrote: When adaptive cruise control was introduced, I wondered how the following distance was determined. Was a shock to find that the driver decides.

On my car it is time gap not distance that you alter. I like to be able to increase the two second gap to something greater, particularly at speeds over 30mph. Also I like that, with a tap on the button on the steering column, views round the vehicle being followed can be improved.

But why do you need more than 2s? Surely the car doesn't need any "thinking time" to react to the vehicle in front slowing down?

Do Audis have a maximum of 0.5s following distance set in their systems just to ensure the vehicle delivers an experience the owners will be used to? :twisted:

M1ke H

Postby M1ke H » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:19 am

As an Audi driver I personally take exception to Jon's comment above, although I do get what and why it's said ;)

Interestingly the cruise control on my TT is a bog standard cruise control. If it's set to eg 60, it will carry on at 60 regardless of what happens in front, although I've never had occasion to test when the Emergency Braking System would override it in the event of the car in front stopping dead.

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:37 pm

M1ke H wrote:Interestingly the cruise control on my TT is a bog standard cruise control. If it's set to eg 60, it will carry on at 60 regardless of what happens in front, although I've never had occasion to test when the Emergency Braking System would override it in the event of the car in front stopping dead.

Check what speed the emergency system will work up to. For instance on SWMBOs car, I think it's "city emergency brake" which is something like up to 20mph. It also says quite clearly in the manual that it's only designed to reduce the severity of a collision, not necessarily prevent it...

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:23 pm

jont- wrote:
jcochrane wrote:

But why do you need more than 2s? Surely the car doesn't need any "thinking time" to react to the vehicle in front slowing down?

1. Because it is far more comfortable/relaxing, better view of possible overtakes. 2. At 2 second if the car ahead suddenly stops you will get uncomfortable hard braking to a stop. At a greater gap the adaptive cruise control will slow to a smooth stop.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:40 pm

Park Assist is all well and good, but what if somebody comes up with Overtake Assist?

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:15 pm

For the overtaker or the overtakee?

Return to “Technology”