Best features to look for when buying a new car.

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
waremark

Re: Best features to look for when buying a new car.

Postby waremark » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:21 pm

Has anyone here actually experienced a drowsiness warning?

Cannot make the Park Assist work on my otherwise lovely new car, very sad! Going to have to ask the dealership for clues.

angus

Postby angus » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:33 pm

waremark wrote:Cannot make the Park Assist work on my otherwise lovely new car, very sad! Going to have to ask the dealership for clues.

RTFM?

angus

Postby angus » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:37 pm

martine wrote:And motorways of course...I travelled about 50 miles from Worcester to Bristol yesterday early evening and it was reasonably quiet and in that time I came across probably 6 middle-lane-hoggers :roll:

I don't understand why people do it...is it lack of knowledge or can't be bothered/too selfish to move in to lane 1...or something else?

Only 6?

On the odd ocassion I drive on a 4 lane motorway, it seems to be split into 2, 2 lane roads, with lanes 1 & 2 mostly used by HGVs & caravans, lanes 3 & 4 by almost everyone else (with a fair few sitting in lane 4 and staying there)

kfae8959

Postby kfae8959 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:31 pm

waremark wrote:Cannot make the Park Assist work

That sounds very much like a syntax error to me.

David

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:12 am

angus wrote:
waremark wrote:Cannot make the Park Assist work on my otherwise lovely new car, very sad! Going to have to ask the dealership for clues.

RTFM?

Angus I thought you knew me! I've studied the manual (incidentally not provided with the car, only available online) diligently, then had the salesman have a go, then had the dealerships 'product genius' have a go, so far without success. I am expecting the next instalment later today.

angus

Postby angus » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:28 pm

waremark wrote:
angus wrote:

RTFM?

Angus I thought you knew me! I've studied the manual (incidentally not provided with the car, only available online) diligently, then had the salesman have a go, then had the dealerships 'product genius' have a go, so far without success. I am expecting the next instalment later today.

Apologies. Seriously, no manual? Online material is ok for a quick lookup, but useless when you want to peruse properly. Good luck

waremark

Postby waremark » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:44 am

angus wrote:Apologies. Seriously, no manual? Online material is ok for a quick lookup, but useless when you want to peruse properly. Good luck

Apology accepted. About the no manual thing, think how long ago PC software makers gave up on manuals. As the person in the office who used to read the reference manual cover to cover, and then tell everyone else how to use the newest spreadsheet, I hated it. (Young folks will have no idea that in my working life I went through Visicalc, Multiplan, Symphony, Lotus 123 before getting to Excel - and I have probably forgotten a few. I've also forgotten the names of the pre-Word word processing equivalents). I have no real objection to reading the F Pace manual on screen. What I think is a bit disappointing is that it doesn't come on the vehicle screen or on an Android app (BMW do that), and you don't get a personalised version specific to the spec of your car.

Next instalment on the Park Assist front - 'they are working on new software for the vehicle, they hope it will be out soon and they hope it will solve this problem'. i.e. this item of equipment which I paid for as an optional extra is actually vapour-ware which does not yet exist. It begs the question of whether there are other specification options which I didn't pay for but which are actually present in the vehicle and could be switched on by someone who knew how.

Back to the literal words of the thread title - I've done 650 miles in the week I've had the car and I really enjoy the Head Up Display which shows speedo, speed limit and cruise setting, and Nav instructions if on, the adaptive cruise and the well implemented Auto Hold and Stop Start.

I have never experienced emergency auto braking although this is not my first car which is supposed to have it. I read lots of tales of it causing danger, but I am reluctant to turn it off in case one day I actually need it.

Yesterday I was drowsy enough to need to stop for a rest. I tried to make the drowsiness monitor notice that I needed to stop (joke, sort of), but failed to get a 'recommended to stop' message.

angus

Postby angus » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:36 am

waremark wrote:this item of equipment which I paid for as an optional extra is actually vapour-ware which does not yet exist.
:confused:

I'm surprised at park assist problems, when it's been available from various manufacturers for so long. I've got it, tried it, don't use it. Because for a parallel park, I can get into a tighter space, closer to the kerb and it dry steers

I agree about the head up display - a truly useful feature

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:57 pm

waremark wrote:I have never experienced emergency auto braking although this is not my first car which is supposed to have it. I read lots of tales of it causing danger

Mine has been triggered by rain and, once, by an oncoming car in a (two lane) S bend.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

waremark

Postby waremark » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:34 pm

angus wrote:
waremark wrote:this item of equipment which I paid for as an optional extra is actually vapour-ware which does not yet exist.
:confused:

I'm surprised at park assist problems, when it's been available from various manufacturers for so long. I've got it, tried it, don't use it. Because for a parallel park, I can get into a tighter space, closer to the kerb and it dry steers

I agree about the head up display - a truly useful feature

Older cars from Jaguar Land Rover have had Park Assist, presumably they have tried to improve on it for the new model year which has a tremendous new infotainment system called PiviPro, and have not so far succeeded. It is supposed to cope with left and right parking for bays and parallel, and it operates throttle and brake as well as steering.

Return to “Technology”