Best features to look for when buying a new car.

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Re: Best fetures to look for when buying a new car.

Postby jcochrane » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:21 pm

jont- wrote:
jcochrane wrote:Stop start cuts in all the time on my car. I don't mind this if in London or in a hardly moving traffic jam. The silence is quite relaxing and soothes away some of the frustration from lack of progress. However I'm not so keen on a good country drive, so like it turned off on these occasions. Same applies to the auto hold.

I can just about tolerate stop start on a manual where you can defeat it by putting the clutch in when you're about to go. On an automatic it's just downright dangerous, since it's completely unpredicatable how its going to behave and there's no equiavlent temporary override.

I guess I'm lucky. Iv'e had no problems on my automatic. If it's on, and a car is in font, then the engine restarts when the car in front moves. The auto brake only releases when the throttle is used.

I do find it useful when it is turned off but have a long stop because of road work traffic lights where I can kill the engine by pressing the start/stop button. The toggle on/off button is next to the gear lever so very easy to switch on or off as required.

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:38 pm

jcochrane wrote:
jont- wrote:
jcochrane wrote:Stop start cuts in all the time on my car. I don't mind this if in London or in a hardly moving traffic jam. The silence is quite relaxing and soothes away some of the frustration from lack of progress. However I'm not so keen on a good country drive, so like it turned off on these occasions. Same applies to the auto hold.

I can just about tolerate stop start on a manual where you can defeat it by putting the clutch in when you're about to go. On an automatic it's just downright dangerous, since it's completely unpredicatable how its going to behave and there's no equiavlent temporary override.

I guess I'm lucky. Iv'e had no problems on my automatic. If it's on, and a car is in font, then the engine restarts when the car in front moves. The auto brake only releases when the throttle is used.

I do find it useful when it is turned off but have a long stop because of road work traffic lights where I can kill the engine by pressing the start/stop button. The toggle on/off button is next to the gear lever so very easy to switch on or off as required.

Ah, so it sounds like it's also triggering off the radar cruise system. What about when you arrive at a give way (without quite enough vision to go cleanly), slow to a stop just as the vision appears but you need to be quick and it cuts out just as you hit the go pedal? In a car with a decent modicum of performance, you can get out into quite a small gap, but not if it costs you a second while it's mucking around.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:55 pm

jont- wrote:What about when you arrive at a give way (without quite enough vision to go cleanly), slow to a stop just as the vision appears but you need to be quick and it cuts out just as you hit the go pedal? In a car with a decent modicum of performance, you can get out into quite a small gap, but not if it costs you a second while it's mucking around.

That's also where I find mine intrusive and coming onto RABs. It's too keen to turn the engine off. Also in stop/start queues it is continually stopping/starting to move a cars length. Only time it is sensible is at long stop traffic lights or railway crossings.

So, my routine is, start car and press the disable button before setting off.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:41 pm

jont- wrote:

In our Merc and Aston you can start the engine by slightly relaxing the pressure on the brake pedal, or touching the accelerator while still holding the brakes. I never turn it off, and quite like the silence when waiting.

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:44 pm

janetwise-griggs wrote:That Adsr thing in Jaguars is useful if you drive on snow or gravelly roads. I think it's what used to be the "snow button".

I wonder what it actually does? I would have expected a normal traction control system to make a good job of finding what grip is available - and I will probably use winter tyres in the snow season, which I am sure will make much more difference. I shall see if the salesman knows anything about it - probably not!

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:55 pm

vanman wrote:Interesting, what I look for in a car all be it second hand.

1. What is like to drive, handling, steering and ride. Is it entertaining to drive.
2. How economic is it, not just mpg but servicing costs reliability etc.
3. What power has it. say 80 to 150 bhp.
4. What is the 0 to 60 time. At least better than 12 secs.
5. How much will it cost to tax.

What I do not want, but will probably get. :evil:

1. Infomat system.
2. Good sound system.
3. Traction control. hazard awareness (camera, display whatever) Bloody beeps for everything.
4. Heated, seats, mirrors, windscreen (may be useful), steering wheel, gear knob etc.
5. Stop flaming start, I know you can turn it off, but the battery, starter etc will cost a fortune to replace.
6. Lane decipline (more beeps, nudges on steering wheel)
7. General electronic interference.

Thankyou I feel better. :soap:

So, you don't even mention my numbers 1 to 3!
What it looks like, both inside and out
Then what it feels like inside, comfort, space and material quality
Then what is sounds like

Your performance and power requirements are on the modest side.

I want most of the electronic toys - electric memory heated seats, heated steering wheel, 360 degree cameras, big pretty screen, clever lights, keyless locks and driving, cruise control (how can that be optional on a £65k Cayman GTS 4.0. per excellent YouTube review from Joe Achilles?)?

I don't want the newer driving aids - one thing I do turn off is lane keeping assist, since I like to change lanes without signalling, and to move about within my lane. I would turn off autoblip if I could, on the M2 you can only turn it off by turning the traction control fully off, which I do for that reason.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:03 pm

jont- wrote:
jcochrane wrote:
jont- wrote:

Ah, so it sounds like it's also triggering off the radar cruise system. What about when you arrive at a give way (without quite enough vision to go cleanly), slow to a stop just as the vision appears but you need to be quick and it cuts out just as you hit the go pedal? In a car with a decent modicum of performance, you can get out into quite a small gap, but not if it costs you a second while it's mucking around.

That's another occasion when I tap the button to turn it off before stopping. I use it flexibly depending on the circumstances in the same way that if I come to a junction where I might want a quick getaway I take "auto sport" if in "auto drive" at the time. Or if coming up to cyclists in "auto drive" I will select "auto sport". Generally though I have it turned off but turn it on when stops are frequent or longish periods. it's relaxing to wait in silence.

vanman

Postby vanman » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:29 am

What it looks like doesen't come into it, perhaps a Fiat Multipla or PT Cruiser might put me off.
As for interior, as long as things don't come off in my hand. Fiat again and strangely Jaguar. both leaving me holding door handles and window winders.
Performance and power.
I have always owned lower powered cars (tight/broke/old) and get great satisfaction in maintaining progress in them. On todays roads 80 works with revs. 150 more than enough.
Don't get me wrong I have driven far more powerfull cars and yes they are great, powering out of bends getting blinding overtakes in safely, but after a while this becomes easy and dare I say boring (that shud raise a few hackles :evil: ) I much prefer to feel a car and with too much power this becomes dangerous, for me at any rate. :gear:

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:25 am

When I used to travel a lot on business, I have on sometimes hired cars at foreign airports and had Unpleasant Surprises. These have included my first experience of stop/start causing me to struggle getting out of Oslo airport thinking I was continually stalling, the weirdness of lane nudging on the main motorway across Denmark, and on several occasions having trouble working out how to start the expletive deleted vehicle .... and even how to turn the radio off. Oh, and my first experience of driving auto was many years ago at LAX causing me to have an interesting nose/steering wheel interaction. Happy days ....

janetwise-griggs

Postby janetwise-griggs » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:50 pm

janetwise-griggs wrote:
That Adsr thing in Jaguars is useful if you drive on snow or gravelly roads. I think it's what used to be the "snow button".

I wonder what it actually does? I would have expected a normal traction control system to make a good job of finding what grip is available - and I will probably use winter tyres in the snow season, which I am sure will make much more difference. I shall see if the salesman knows anything about it - probably not!

From memory, as I don't have that car now, it restricted max speed and maxed traction control, it used second gear for moving off and maybe third and that was it. It was basically for crawling along on loose or no grip surfaces. I did use it in snow and it did work.

Return to “Technology”