What gear is best?

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
crr003

Re: What gear is best?

Postby crr003 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:59 pm

waremark wrote:
martine wrote:I'm an ADI and when you say 'required' and 'obligation' to teach economical driving I believe you are over emphasising it...it's part of the ADI training but a small part and I don't believe you would be marked down on the ADI part 3 test or the regular ADI Standards Checks...in fact there isn't a box in the test sheet to score for economical driving.

Thanks Martin, my misunderstanding.

Well, it is there on the DL25 Driving Test Report for learners:
"Eco Safe Driving
You should drive in an ‘eco friendly manner’, considering your
impact on the environment. Plan well ahead and choose
appropriate gears, avoid heavy braking and over revving of the
engine, particularly when stopped or moving off. If you have to
stop for a long period such as at road works or railway
crossings, consider stopping the engine to reduce pollution and
save fuel. The examiner will assess this on your test; however
this assessment will not affect the overall result of the test. If
there are areas that need improvement you will receive
appropriate feedback at the end of the test."

But it helpfully says obeying this stuff or not won't affect the test result. My experience of ADIs who go over the top with minimum revs/"never use more than 2k" is to maximise fuel economy to improve their profit.

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:53 pm

Well yes, everyone should be avoiding over-revving the engine, but most cars these days have a revlimiter, so unless it's a really cackfooted downshift it's easy enough to avoid. What part of that says "don't use the full rev range"? :twisted:

Is launch control allowed to help with moving off? :racing:

martine

Postby martine » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:05 pm

crr003 wrote:...But it helpfully says obeying this stuff or not won't affect the test result. My experience of ADIs who go over the top with minimum revs/"never use more than 2k" is to maximise fuel economy to improve their profit.

:lol:
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:15 pm

Horse wrote:A (now ex-, unfortunately) colleague did some work at Uni on fuel economy etc. Also unfortunately, I didn't get the opportunity to get him to explain in (understandable) detail.

However, I'm sure that I heard that the most economical way to use an EV is accelerate the coast, and repeat, rather than constant speed. Anyone heard that?

I have heard of a similar technique used by "hypermilers". They seem to be of the opinion that it is one of, if not the, most effective.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:14 pm

Horse wrote:A (now ex-, unfortunately) colleague did some work at Uni on fuel economy etc. Also unfortunately, I didn't get the opportunity to get him to explain in (understandable) detail.

However, I'm sure that I heard that the most economical way to use an EV is accelerate the coast, and repeat, rather than constant speed. Anyone heard that?

Singapore taxi drivers used to have a "pulse" method of driving. Don't know if they still do.

hray

Postby hray » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:39 pm

jcochrane wrote:The impression I got with my previous cars is that the advice to change up often appeared to be largely based on RPM. Consequently it was often useless taking no account of gradient and other factors.
The Golf R (in manual), however, is far more intelligent and rarely gives bad advice.

Assuming instead of 'suggesting' a gear it just selects it instead, I can say the same for mine with the DSG gearbox. Very happy with the gears it selects, almost seems to read my mind sometimes!
Hugh - Local Observer, Masters (Distinction)

vanman

Postby vanman » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:52 am

The accelerate and coast system worked really well when I was using a Volvo 340 variomatic. 40 sets of traffic lights each way from Caterham to Hayes daily. Basically leave the lights get up to 30 quickly, ease off and the system changed up to top, roll to next set of lights and repeat. Got over 30 mpg tank after tank. The usual mpg for the 340 was low to mid 20s.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:42 pm

hray wrote:Assuming instead of 'suggesting' a gear it just selects it instead

I don't remember driving a car with an automatic gearbox where I've not overridden the gears; they just don't pick the gears I want at the time I want them.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:08 am

vanman wrote:The accelerate and coast system worked really well when I was using a Volvo 340 variomatic.

Trying to remember what my colleague said, I think it was to do with the engine be most efficient at certain revs and while under load / drive, but don't quote me

:)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:09 am

Gareth wrote:
hray wrote:Assuming instead of 'suggesting' a gear it just selects it instead

I don't remember driving a car with an automatic gearbox where I've not overridden the gears; they just don't pick the gears I want at the time I want them.

I've tried to play in mine and see if I can get it to do it with a combination of speed of application of throttle (and brakes, since it seesm to be sensitive to that too) as well as amount, but the car doesn't cope well with the transition between NSLs and villages. It ends up either too lazy in the corners (so kicking down on the way out rather than being in the right gear before it), or going too far the other way and taking an unnecessarily low gear.

Or maybe I just don't have the patience to adapt to it when you can override it anyway :twisted:

Return to “Technology”