What gear is best?

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
vanman

What gear is best?

Postby vanman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:20 pm

Ford Transit Connect (precious) 59 reg.
Little green arrow suggesting a change up is required.......... :evil: .Anyone else ignoring this? Half way up a 1:4 suggests that 3rd would be preferable, then on a less severe hill suggesting 4th. Is it just me finding that this is impractical and likely to knock hell out of the big ends, or is this their plan to get you to buy a new engine/van. Technology if that's the right word gone mad. :soap:

p.s. I know it's supposed to save fuel/planet. :bash:

martine

Re: What gear is best?

Postby martine » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:59 pm

Both my cars have a gear indicator - which I completely ignore. I believe the recommendation is based purely on fuel consumption and current throttle position and of course it doesn't know anymore than that about road conditions ahead. I am sure even if you followed it, it wouldn't do any harm to the engine however.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:08 pm

Take the bulb out or if it's an LED/LCD one put a sticker over it.

They all want you to rush up the box at a ridiculous pace.

It's a bad habit that many are encouraged to do when learning to drive, and then they wonder why the car doesn't slow when off the accelerator. Many people have to be on one pedal or the other because of this. People are afraid of a bit of engine nose. We get this with motorcycle riders who do the same as they do in their car/van/lorry.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

angus

Postby angus » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:56 pm

I've had a couple of cars with this "feature". The Focus I have now only wants you to change up, suggesting 4th from 25mph and 6th from 45, whereas my old scenic would suggest down shifts. Strangely, if you were doing 33 in 3rd it would want 4th, but 31 in 4th it would want 3rd

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:22 pm

vanman wrote:What gear is best?

Well... usually just jeans, a long-sleeved T and a fleece. Throw in a nice pair of driving shoes and you're about done.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:46 pm

vanman wrote:Is it just me finding that this is impractical and likely to knock hell out of the big ends

Isn't using stupidly low engine speeds the main reason for dual mass flywheels?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:14 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
vanman wrote:What gear is best?

Well... usually just jeans, a long-sleeved T and a fleece. Throw in a nice pair of driving shoes and you're about done.

The most recent driving day I went to was like a Craghoppers convention ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:03 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote: We get this with motorcycle riders who do the same as they do in their car/van/lorry.

Yes I usually say I didn't know Kawasaki ( or what ever brand) made this in a diesel

Gareth wrote:
vanman wrote:Is it just me finding that this is impractical and likely to knock hell out of the big ends

Isn't using stupidly low engine speeds the main reason for dual mass flywheels?

Dual mass flywheels take some of the lumpiness out for running at low revs, trickling along in traffic etc.

They also cost a fortune when they fail
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:36 pm

The impression I got with my previous cars is that the advice to change up often appeared to be largely based on RPM. Consequently it was often useless taking no account of gradient and other factors.
The Golf R (in manual), however, is far more intelligent and rarely gives bad advice.

Discov8

Postby Discov8 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:45 am

The shift gear light is normally based on emissions. Driving schools teach learners to change into higher gears asap. Especially noticeable with younger IAM associates. Encouraging them to use more than 2000rpm before changing gear and to use the torque band of the engine effectively.

Return to “Technology”