What gear is best?

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
Gareth

Re: What gear is best?

Postby Gareth » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:50 am

jcochrane wrote:The Golf R (in manual), however, is far more intelligent and rarely gives bad advice.

I think 'sporty' cars tend to suggest much higher engine speeds for shifting up.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:25 pm

I think that drivers also become attuned to keeping engine noise down - it can 'feel more comfortable' to change up sooner - combine that with a light (where it exists) which is primarily focused on Euro xx regulations and emissions, but encourages early change up and you find the modern pattern of driving...

I have good memories of a certain midlands based coach who when I first drove him in my z3 asked if I had only bought half the engine, or would I like to try using all of it?! (put very politely of course!) - since then I have fully used the revs, doubled my enjoyment of the car and reduced the mpg by at least 33% :D

Alasdair

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:28 pm

Gareth wrote:
jcochrane wrote:The Golf R (in manual), however, is far more intelligent and rarely gives bad advice.

I think 'sporty' cars tend to suggest much higher engine speeds for shifting up.

Not IME, although if you stick my automatic in sports mode it will certainly use all the revs, possibly to the point of changing down further than necessary when braking :lol: :lol:

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:43 pm

jont- wrote:Not IME, although if you stick my automatic in sports mode it will certainly use all the revs, possibly to the point of changing down further than necessary when braking :lol: :lol:

+1 but I have a lead foot.

My bike can have a nag telling you to change gear too. Thats turned off, however the rev limiter still works.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:27 pm

Gareth wrote:

In a RenaultSport Megane, the indicator light in the main dash suggested the early up changes typical of the indicators in most new cars. The RenaultSport monitor available on the central display would suggest a much lower gear, probably the lowest gear available at the current road speed.

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:32 pm

akirk wrote:I have good memories of a certain midlands based coach who when I first drove him in my z3 asked if I had only bought half the engine, or would I like to try using all of it?! (put very politely of course!) - since then I have fully used the revs, doubled my enjoyment of the car and reduced the mpg by at least 33% :D

Alasdair

Did he explain how he reconciled his advice with the 'ecosafe driving' which ADI's are required to teach?

During a session with him in an E39 M5, he did say to me as I slowed to a low road speed in 3rd gear, 'you do know if you allow the revs to fall too low the engine starts to fuel again?'. We discussed the obligation on ADI's to teach economical driving.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:55 am

A (now ex-, unfortunately) colleague did some work at Uni on fuel economy etc. Also unfortunately, I didn't get the opportunity to get him to explain in (understandable) detail.

However, I'm sure that I heard that the most economical way to use an EV is accelerate the coast, and repeat, rather than constant speed. Anyone heard that?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

martine

Postby martine » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:16 am

akirk wrote:...since then I have fully used the revs, doubled my enjoyment of the car and reduced the mpg by at least 33% :D

Good man! :gear:
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

martine

Postby martine » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:47 am

waremark wrote:Did he explain how he reconciled his advice with the 'ecosafe driving' which ADI's are required to teach?...We discussed the obligation on ADI's to teach economical driving.

I'm an ADI and when you say 'required' and 'obligation' to teach economical driving I believe you are over emphasising it...it's part of the ADI training but a small part and I don't believe you would be marked down on the ADI part 3 test or the regular ADI Standards Checks...in fact there isn't a box in the test sheet to score for economical driving.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

waremark

Postby waremark » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:04 am

martine wrote:I'm an ADI and when you say 'required' and 'obligation' to teach economical driving I believe you are over emphasising it...it's part of the ADI training but a small part and I don't believe you would be marked down on the ADI part 3 test or the regular ADI Standards Checks...in fact there isn't a box in the test sheet to score for economical driving.

Thanks Martin, my misunderstanding.

Return to “Technology”