Motorcycle airbag jackets

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
Ohlins

Re: Motorcycle airbag jackets

Postby Ohlins » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:18 am

Was it this jacket the Carve Master 2 D-Air? While a good fit’s necessary for bike clothing generally, I found fit matters even more for airbag jackets. I tried on a D-Air jacket for size and – despite usually being Dainese-shaped – it wasn’t quite right. Conversely, I’d never got on with Alpinestars jackets before, but a Tech-Air-equipped jacket fitted like a dream. And a perfect fit means the weight’s distributed properly, so any heft disappears when on the bike. YMMV.

janetwise-griggs wrote:they don't seem to have allowed for the additional space needed for inflation

Didn’t your Dainese jacket have any stretch panels? All the D-Air leather jackets have stretch panels in just the right place to let the airbag inflate. Has Dainese forgotten them in the Carve Master 2 D-Air?

Considering the trend for airbags that claim to fit under any jacket (In&Motion, Tech-Air 5, D-Air Smart), I reckon some people either won’t have adequate room for the airbag to inflate fully or possess jackets that are a bit big. Judging by clientele at biker cafes and even my local IAM group, there are undoubtedly people wearing kit that’s too baggy! IMO, Alpinestars had the right idea with judicious use of stretch panels in Tech-Air-compatible jackets.

janetwise-griggs

Postby janetwise-griggs » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:07 pm

It was a Racing 3 D Air unperforated jacket. I take a ladies size 48 in Dainese, I checked my measurements and asked them about how tight it needed to be and specifically if they had made the jacket bigger to accommodate the inflated bits. They never said the elasticated bits at the sides were meant to expand to allow for inflation or that the jacket should be tight when not inflated. It did have elasticated parts in several places but these were just normal movement ones and were quite rigid, it was so tight I could hardly get it on and I certainly couldn't have driven in it. This jacket is also sold separately ie without the d air part. As far as I could see it was the standard 48 size mans fit jacket that they had just added the air bag bits to by zipping it in where the winter liner would go. All the other makes I looked at said you needed space for it to inflate of 5 cm all around. As for the vests to wear underneath I also looked at these and you need to have spare space of 5 cm all around including the Dainese model so it probably won't fit under a correctly fitting jacket you already own. Or you can wear the vest over the top of a jacket you already own but you need to get it big enough to fit over all the jackets you'll be wearing it over. This was why I went for an all new jacket. Dainese weren't much help and haven't replied to my feedback, they basically said its ladies fit and it's the correct size. Maybe when I get my refund I'll order a bigger size to the shop and try it on there instead and ask them about fit etc. Again.

janetwise-griggs

Postby janetwise-griggs » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:07 pm

Ive just compared the pictures for both and the d air one is a bit different, but they both have significant stretch areas in similar places , the D air one might have a bit more. But the biggest difference is the back. I'll just have to go to the shop and find out.

janetwise-griggs

Postby janetwise-griggs » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:54 pm

I think like you said above Dainese things normally fit but this was really odd. I was quite disappointed really as I've already had one back injury and I don't want another. I also wanted a Dainese jacket to zip onto my Dainese trousers otherwise I get a cold gap at the back. I'll have to drag up to Old Street one day.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:21 pm

The Hit Air vest appears to have side adjusters.

https://www.hit-air.com/en/motorcycle/l ... t-mc3.html

7th photo
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:27 pm

janetwise-griggs wrote: I've already had one back injury and I don't want another.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but not all back injuries will be prevented however good a back protector and air combo you're wearing.

janetwise-griggs wrote: I also wanted a Dainese jacket to zip onto my Dainese trousers otherwise I get a cold gap at the back.

So get a Dainese 'vanilla' jacket, with a vest over it? Allows for waterproof and winter jacket options.

janetwise-griggs

Postby janetwise-griggs » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:55 pm

I expect that's what I'll have to do, the vanilla option. I appreciate about injury prevention, I just thought it would be better than not having air cover.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:42 pm

janetwise-griggs wrote: I just thought it would be better than not having air cover.

I expect so too, but it can't perform miracles. A bit like body armour, which seems to have more effect at reducing abrasion injury than impact (ie broken bones).

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:59 am

If it's back protection you're after, then you're better off with an alternative airbag than Dainese. The D-Air Road (in the leather jacket you mentioned) has airbag protection for the chest and collarbones. And it "limits extreme neck movement", according to Dainese - careful wording to skirt round making a claim that would require CE certification for neck protection.

Currently, Dainese D-Air jackets have a conventional back protector (CE Level 1) because Dainese chose to focus on chest protection for these garments. However, the D-Air Road's chest protection is the best I've seen, CE Airbag Level 2. I believe it's the only system to date that achieved the Airbag Level 2 standard.

If you're interested in back protection, as well as Alpinestars Tech-Air, have you looked at the new electronic airbag from Helite: the E-Turtle?

Horse wrote:
janetwise-griggs wrote:it can't perform miracles.

True. And I haven't noticed any airbag protection for my legs! But even without miracles, I agree with Janet: it's better to have air cover than not.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:46 am

Ohlins wrote:
Horse wrote:it can't perform miracles.

True. And I haven't noticed any airbag protection for my legs!

Again, how would such a device protect against the most common mechanisms of injury? What injuries would you want to prevent?

I have seen airbag protection advertised which is specifically designed to protect against hip injuries.

https://senior.helite.com/en/

For older people, a broken hip can often be fatal due to complications (pneumonia etc). For motorcyclists, it could lead to severe internal bleeding.

But stopping a long bone getting broken? Or a lower leg double break, or ankle dislocation that could easily lead to amputation?

A simple idea I heard years ago was 'no head, no life', expanded with the suggestion that the further away from the head you go, the more survivable the injury is.

Obviously that's a rough and ready guide ;)

Return to “Technology”