Motorcycle airbag jackets

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
Horse

Re: Motorcycle airbag jackets

Postby Horse » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:22 am

Jonquirk wrote:riding along with feet one inch above the tarmac,

Same around here.

Followed one who wobbled around a roundabout like a novice speedway rider - but was able to come to an almost feet-up stop at lights.

Bizarre riding ...
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:09 am

According to my instructor, who has a steady business with repeat CBT with them, they are mostly from Brazil and used to terrible roads. There they learned to keep their feet down ready to prop the bike up if it went into a pothole.

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:14 pm

exportmanuk wrote:How long before some motorcyclists feel as safe on a bike as they do in a car and ride accordingly

Too slowly? :lol:

It's been an issue since before you can say Risk Compensation. And the same applies to traction control, cornering, ABS, etc.

However, I would hate to hit a car, tree or lamppost irrespective of my airbag. Ouch!

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:05 pm

Jonquirk wrote:According to my instructor, who has a steady business with repeat CBT with them, they are mostly from Brazil and used to terrible roads. There they learned to keep their feet down ready to prop the bike up if it went into a pothole.

Since they spend most of their time travelling around the same few sq miles, you'd think they'd remember where the potholes are.

They must have strong ankles, knees and tib&fib. If the top half of your leg is doing 15mph+, and your foot isn't, something will give. It's another reason for shifting foot position from instep to toes during spirited cornering.
Last edited by Horse on Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:07 pm

Agreed. It horrified me to see them doing it, even before I learned to ride a motorbike myself.

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:54 am

Horse wrote:If the top half of your leg is doing 15mph+, and your foot isn't, something will give. It's another reason for shifting foot position from instep to toes during spirited cornering.

And, if riding spiritedly, it's a reason to wear boots with toe sliders on a cruiser :)

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:30 pm

Ohlins wrote:
And, if riding spiritedly, it's a reason to wear boots with toe sliders on a cruiser :)

I thought that was just for the sparks :D
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Return to “Technology”