Motorcycle airbag jackets

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
Ohlins

Motorcycle airbag jackets

Postby Ohlins » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:43 am

Is this section only for car drivers? No! You might have wireless Apple CarPlay, but we can have MotoGP technology in our jackets :D

But which one of these should I choose? I'm struggling to decide between these three ...

exportmanuk

Re: Motorcycle airbag jackets

Postby exportmanuk » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:02 pm

For: One will be more comfortable over the potholes. One handy if you get a puncture and the last on helpful if you are tired .
Against One no power and easy to puncture, one covers the speedo and the last would be difficult to filter with.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

vanman

Postby vanman » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:58 pm

On the occasioons I managed to "drop it" I never scuffed up the front or back of my leathers. Hands, Knees, elbows yes. Has it got somthing to do with ABS on bikes nowadays. :?

angus

Postby angus » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:05 pm

These are available for horse riders too, especially eventers who are even more at risk of falling off and of the horse falling on them. In addition to bracing the neck and back, there's a degree of padding. The early ones had to be worn with a body protector as they inflated with enough force to crack ribs.

https://pointtwoairvests.com/news/laura ... in-fall/11

Despite what the article says, they aren't like an airbag as they don't deflate automatically.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:19 pm

Despite all the many years riding a cycle I never came off. Did come off motorbikes a couple of times but either landed on my feet or rolled and then came up on my feet.This was despite biking or cycling every day, there were of course a number of close shaves but somehow managed to recover the bike or cycle. I think I was incredibly lucky.

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:28 am

I was having a coffee a few weeks ago alongside a Police motorbike course on their break. The instructor was wearing a Helite jacket with the attaching bungee, and the students had ones with wireless proximity sensors. No more embarrassing "pop" if you forget to detach before walking away...

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:41 am

dvenman wrote:I was having a coffee a few weeks ago alongside a Police motorbike course on their break. The instructor was wearing a Helite jacket with the attaching bungee, and the students had ones with wireless proximity sensors. No more embarrassing "pop" if you forget to detach before walking away...

I think it would take more force than that ;) The non-tethered systems activate more quickly.

Any idea which police force ('service') they were from?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:39 pm

Horse wrote:Any idea which police force ('service') they were from?

Seeing as the coffee shop was in Marlborough, Wiltshire...

angus

Postby angus » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:00 pm

Horse wrote:I think it would take more force than that ;) The non-tethered systems activate more quickly.

Easy (but expensive) with the horse ones. The genuine gas cylinders were about £40 each tho' I did manage to find an alternate supply at about half that

janetwise-griggs

Postby janetwise-griggs » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:44 pm

I've just sent one of these back because it didn't fit. It was extremely heavy and not particularly flexible. It costs £220 to have a new airbag assembly zipped in if it goes off. Unlike other makes there's no fees or additional costs you just buy this jacket with it already zipped into where the winter liner would go. If you are thinking of buying one, and I did ask them this before I ordered it, they don't seem to have allowed for the additional space needed for inflation, ie I think they have taken say a size 48 jacket and then just zipped in the airbag assembly which then means the jacket is too small and there certainly wasn't any room for inflation or additional bits of anatomy which men don't have. Otherwise I think they are a good idea and I would have one if it fitted properly. I did tell Dianese about the fitting problems but they didn't seem all that interested.

Return to “Technology”