Motorcycle airbag jackets

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
janetwise-griggs

Re: Motorcycle airbag jackets

Postby janetwise-griggs » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:32 pm

Yeah I noticed the thing about the back protector, I also asked them about this before I ordered it. The back protector was huge and not very flexible. I've looked at every brand and design, I suppose I could use a chest protector. I was a bit put off some makes where you have to buy a jacket either a special one or one with 5cm all round spare space, buy the vest insert and then subscribe to In&motion for £12 per month or whatever for 3 years or pay up front. All my jackets are the correct size so there's not enough spare space. I'll wait until Dainese have a sale.
Thanks for all your help and comments.

janetwise-griggs

Postby janetwise-griggs » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:55 pm

I eventually found a more detailed pdf user manual on the Dainese website which is 480 pages long, after about 30 pages I found that what I had delivered is a chest only air bag thingy as Mr Ohlins said and from what I could see of the MotoGP style things they are the same. I think the vest is different, I wouldn't mind the vest if I did not have to wear a hard back protector at the same time but I am loathe to give this up.
What does anyone think?

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:08 pm

IIRC airbags are intended to supplement, not replace, back protection.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

janetwise-griggs

Postby janetwise-griggs » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:09 pm

Thank you for that, Horse. I sort of thought that might be the case.

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:56 pm

janetwise-griggs wrote:I was a bit put off some makes where you have to buy a jacket either a special one ...

Did you try on a Tech-Air Street vest zipped into a Tech-Air-compatible jacket? This setup is heavy to pick up (good for building your biceps)! But don't be put off. On the bike, I found it completely comfortable - the weight disappears while riding. And the advantages are:

• Tech-Air-compatible jackets fit normally, i.e. snug as they should be. (You'd only notice the stretch panels after the airbag inflates.) So you have a jacket that fits normally, not one that's baggy from 5cm all round spare space.
  • The Tech-Air provides, arguably, the best airbag coverage on the market: back, chest, sides/ribs, and shoulders.
The downside is the initial outlay for this setup, although it's similar to buying a Racing 3 D-Air, plus the weight of the jacket when you're off the bike. Did I mention it's hefty? The back protector is inflexible too, but it's never been an issue for me. I have this Tech-Air setup and am extremely happy with it. It's 100% comfortable while riding, but it's one you need to try before you buy.

Also, the Tech-Air Street vests come in different sizes, and the vest size needs to match the jacket's sizing. So it's worth taking your time in the shop to try different combinations for fit. I'm glad I did. Faffing (to try different sizes) was essential!

janetwise-griggs

Postby janetwise-griggs » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:31 am

Thanks Ohlins I was looking at this last night. It does seem to be a much better solution for what I need. I was going to buy a new jacket in leather so buying a Tech air vest and compatible jacket would be OK. You have to go to a shop for the vest as they wont send them for some reason, so I could try on the jacket at the same time. It maybe won't join to my trousers but I'm prepared to forgo this. I don't mind the weight as long as it's not too much. I think the Tech Air would fit under my other jackets if I remove the back protectors but I'll have to see, if it won't fit I'll have to use a chest protector which isn't very expensive. The jacket I was looking at can also be worn with just a hard back protector so it's more flexible anyway. I'm so grateful for your help.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:12 pm

You have to go to a shop for the vest as they wont send them for some reason,

Restrictions on posting gas canisters?

The back protector is inflexible too,

Replaceable? With something like D3O?

janetwise-griggs

Postby janetwise-griggs » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:47 pm

I meant the compatible jacket is the more flexible option as I could either wear it with the tech air vest which has its own back protector or not wear the vest and use a separate back protector of which I already have a selection. I think you are right about the gas cyclinder even though it's inert Argon, which is presumably why they use it.

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:32 pm

Hi Janet, I forgot you were interested in a leather jacket, and it’s only the Tech-Air Race vest that fits Alpinestars’ leather jackets. Though the same comments apply. Also, the Tech-Air Race can be switched into 'Street' mode, so it uses algorithms designed for road accidents.

But if you’re within reach of either Devon or Essex, then why not consider a made-to-measure airbag jacket? BKS is in Exmouth and ‘Tech-Air accredited’ by Alpinestars to make bespoke leather jackets. Either BKS or Hideout would be a huge step-up in quality from Dainese.

On the Essex/Cambridge border, Hideout makes bespoke airbag-equipped jackets (both leather and textile). While Hideout usually supplies the In&Motion system, I know they are experienced in all the current airbag systems (having tailored them for racers). In your shoes, I’d phone or email Kate Jennings, the co-owner of Hideout, to ask for her advice. She’s a font of expertise and advice!

Despite being completely happy with my Tech-Air setup, I’d go to Hideout if I had my time again. I don’t think you can beat their knowhow and made-to-measure gear. IME, their quality of materials and workmanship are considerably better than the Italians brands.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:56 pm

Ohlins wrote:On the Essex/Cambridge border, Hideout makes bespoke airbag-equipped jackets (both leather and textile). While Hideout usually supplies the In&Motion system, I know they are experienced in all the current airbag systems (having tailored them for racers). In your shoes, I’d phone or email Kate Jennings, the co-owner of Hideout, to ask for her advice. She’s a font of expertise and advice!

Return to “Technology”