Motorcycle airbag jackets

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
janetwise-griggs

Re: Motorcycle airbag jackets

Postby janetwise-griggs » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:05 pm

Thanks for the video I'll look into that after I've tried the AlpineStars things which I won't buy if they don't fit properly.

janetwise-griggs

Postby janetwise-griggs » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:02 pm

I forgot to say I live just outside the M25 in Surrey.

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:32 pm

If you live in Surrey, then I'd very highly recommend starting with asking Kate at Hideout for her advice (email or, ideally, arranging a chat on the phone). She has got to be one of the UK's top experts on motorcycle clothing, not to mention that Hideout is a pleasure to deal with.

I ended up visiting Hideout after buying my jacket and wish I'd gone there first. I've since bought pants from them, and Hideout is a giant step up in quality and protection (compared to Astars/Dainese). Also, nothing off-the-shelf can compare to the comfort of made-to-measure. The downside is price, but Hideout crafts leathers to last 20+ years if you look after them.

Adventure Bike Rider magazine review of Hideout wrote:"if it’s good enough for Rebecca Ferguson and an elite anti-terrorism unit, then it’s good enough for me!"

https://www.adventurebikerider.com/gear ... -leathers/

janetwise-griggs

Postby janetwise-griggs » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:19 pm

I'll go made to measure if I have to but I do like the AlpineStars airbag system. Realistically, I've only got about 8 years of motorcycling left and it's hard enough now. I'm probably on my last bike or maybe I'll get a proper Superbike to have a last fling next year. I can only ride now because I wear contact lenses so I can see properly but my hands suffer quite a lot, I have an up/down quick shifter which is great in this respect.

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:05 am

It's good to see we'll very soon be able to get airbag protection for the hips, too. Alpinestars' new Tech-Air 10 system (due out this year) includes airbag hip protection, and Mo'cycle is launching jeans with airbag protection for the hips, backside, etc.

The PIONEERS project researched motorcycles (Ducati) with lateral airbags to protect riders' legs. But who knows when we'll see this tech?

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:44 pm

How long before some motorcyclists feel as safe on a bike as they do in a car and ride accordingly
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

vanman

Postby vanman » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:23 pm

exportmanuk wrote:How long before some motorcyclists feel as safe on a bike as they do in a car and ride accordingly

That would be the time to give up the bike and join the tin tops :D

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:39 am

exportmanuk wrote:How long before some motorcyclists feel as safe on a bike as they do in a car and ride accordingly

Unfortunately, even now many riders don't have particularly great understanding - or acceptance - of risks, what can go wrong, etc.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:18 pm

Horse wrote:
Unfortunately, even now many riders don't have particularly great understanding - or acceptance - of risks, what can go wrong, etc.

Many of them are working in the gig economy for local delivery companies.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:11 pm

You can easily spot them in Guildford: L-plate trimmed to the smallest possible size, riding along with feet one inch above the tarmac, hands in handlebar muffs.

Return to “Technology”