Driving with DSG

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
jont-

Re: Driving with DSG

Postby jont- » Tue May 30, 2023 7:40 pm

Horse wrote:LOL @ JonT :D

It wasn't entirely in jest, it was one of the reasons I bought my first auto. And then you can transfer the skill to LFB in a manual... :D

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue May 30, 2023 7:58 pm

we have a seat ateca auto (2.0 petrol) - it is a lot of fun…
auto is very good, but equally on country lanes the paddles work well

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue May 30, 2023 8:19 pm

jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:LOL @ JonT :D

It wasn't entirely in jest, it was one of the reasons I bought my first auto. And then you can transfer the skill to LFB in a manual... :D

Need to watch out as many modern autos will go into limp mode at any hint of throttle and brake. I know from karting you WILL end up pressing both pedals a once. :D
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed May 31, 2023 7:32 am

Not just autos. Young guy in the office had IIRC an older Polo. Faulty brake light switch caused all sorts of random grief.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:23 pm

akirk wrote:we have a seat ateca auto (2.0 petrol) - it is a lot of fun…
auto is very good, but equally on country lanes the paddles work well

Now there's a thing: no paddles.

If you want to control the gears manually, it's + / - on the shift lever (after shoving it sideways first.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:24 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Remember HOW you use the accelerator pedal is as important as how much you press it. YOU really control the gearbox with your right foot. ... but sensitive use of the throttle will affect when it changes up/down. It takes a while to develop that touch, but once you do you won't want to go back to a manual.

It's Filly's car.

I was trying to explain this earlier today. :headbang:

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:15 am

Horse wrote:It's Filly's car.

I admitted defeat after one lesson with my daughter when she was learning to drive. Teaching family members is hard. I handed over in-between lessons practise to my father in law. She is much more accepting of my advice these days.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:25 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Horse wrote:It's Filly's car.

I admitted defeat after one lesson with my daughter when she was learning to drive. Teaching family members is hard

I knew that the route we were travelling yesterday had some 'interesting' features, so tried to explain that setting the car up earlier would be smoother.

First, 60 limit. Road narrows downhill to single lane on a bend, over a bridge, into a tight 120° left bend - up a steep hill.

Gearchange half way around.

Chat ...

Second: steep uphill into a tight S. Think Cadwell Gooseneck in reverse.

Give up.

Foal had an 'L' instructor, I took him out on a couple of linger cross-country drives (after he'd watched Driving for Tomorrow DVD).

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:39 am

Horse wrote:I knew that the route we were travelling yesterday had some 'interesting' features, so tried to explain that setting the car up earlier would be smoother.

First, 60 limit. Road narrows downhill to single lane on a bend, over a bridge, into a tight 120° left bend - up a steep hill.

Chat ...

Give up.

Is this in manual or auto mode?

If auto I've never worried about mid-corner gear changes, as with DCT you never lose drive. If I'm having fun in the twisties/nationals then selecting manual so you can use the revs is the way to go.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:01 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Horse wrote:I knew that the route we were travelling yesterday had some 'interesting' features, so tried to explain that setting the car up earlier would be smoother.

Chat ...

Give up.

Is this in manual or auto mode?

If auto I've never worried about mid-corner gear changes, as with DCT you never lose drive. If I'm having fun in the twisties/nationals then selecting manual so you can use the revs is the way to go.

In auto.

There's little chance if her ever using the manual option.

This might also have been an attempt to get her planning slightly earlier ;)

Return to “Technology”