Best features to look for when buying a new car.

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
Triquet

Re: Best features to look for when buying a new car.

Postby Triquet » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:43 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:For the overtaker or the overtakee?

"Both if necessary" (Lady Bracknell)

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:51 pm

I had a good example of overtake assist on Saturday evening; the other car braked, presumably because they hadn't been looking ahead to know if what I was doing was safe. Turned out they weren't wedded to going slower than the limit; they had no trouble in catching me, (I imagine to get my number plate to report me), through the 20mph of the next village ;-)
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:35 pm

I suspect that unless AI takes a great leap forward, Overtake Assist for the overtaker would be impossible to implement. If it was tried I suspect it would be a pant-filling experience.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:42 pm

Triquet wrote:I suspect that unless AI takes a great leap forward, Overtake Assist for the overtaker would be impossible to implement. If it was tried I suspect it would be a pant-filling experience.

I was 'lucky' to get a go on a prototype bike with radar operated brakes. The test area was past its best. The radar would initiate if it saw a blade of grass. That would wake you up.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:05 pm

Horse wrote:I was 'lucky' to get a go on a prototype bike with radar operated brakes. The test area was past its best. The radar would initiate if it saw a blade of grass. That would wake you up.

Early versions of Honda's DCT could 'wake you up' opening the throttle coming out of a wet greasy roundabout for the unwary. "Two gears down sir and go? Of course." :o I thought I was on a speedway bike!
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:40 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Early versions of Honda's DCT could 'wake you up' opening the throttle coming out of a wet greasy roundabout for the unwary. "Two gears down sir and go? Of course." :o I thought I was on a speedway bike!

:)

Years ago, a van driver delivered a loan VFR800 for me, the one with variable valve timing - which kicked in at about 4k revs. This bike was almost brand new. Nice.

Van driver asked, nicely "Please don't drop it."

They had bought two. The other lasted a few hundred miles until, mid-way through a bend, in the wet ...
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “Technology”