EV batteries - where does the stored energy go after a crash...?

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
dvenman

EV batteries - where does the stored energy go after a crash...?

Postby dvenman » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:21 pm

I saw this elsewhere - https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Research/ ... ded-Energy

In short, it starts with a description of a RTA in the US involving a Tesla Model X, and the complications that resulted (e.g. battery fire reigniting a week later), then goes on to discuss some of the challenges that EVs raise for first responders. It's an interesting read from a number of perspectives - not least of which is that one of us may find ourselves in the vicinity of an accident involving an EV.

Horse

Re: EV batteries - where does the stored energy go after a crash...?

Postby Horse » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:38 pm

If you think about the vehicles we happily drive around in, they're actually quite scary.

For example, if you have a modern car with an LPG conversion, then you're toting around a highly-compressed tin of gas which, if over-heated, could blast into low orbit, landing 100m or more away. Better still, a typical new car has a couple of dozen pyrotechnic devices.

Or it could, instead of the gas can, be several gallons of only slight flammable liquid. Of course, don't let it evaporate and become an explosive gas ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:42 pm

And some of us sit straddling the whole lot! :)

I'm more concerned about the electrical shock than the pyrotechnics of EVs but I hadn't realised the issues involved with dealing with fully charged batteries before this article.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:03 am

Yes, think how many hours (via specific charging systems) it takes to charge an EV. Discharging isn't going to be a quick and simple process.

PS There's also the little firebombs that we happily carry with us, AKA mobile phones ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:10 pm

Batteries? Passing fad. Hydrogen is the answer. What could possibly go wrong with that?

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:33 am

crr003 wrote:Batteries? Passing fad. Hydrogen is the answer. What could possibly go wrong with that?

Very little at all and I blame it on the remaining diesel fuel.
Yours
Hindenburg

Return to “In The News”