Smart Motoways

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
User avatar
exportmanuk
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:56 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Smart Motoways

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:30 pm

Hope they didn't pay for that.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1794
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Smart Motoways

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:07 pm

The bugs splattered on the windscreen one is getting some flack for being in poor taste given the subject matter. :o

I'll be honest that connection never crossed my mind, more that it looked quite outdated.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

martine
Posts: 924
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:26 am

Re: Smart Motoways

Postby martine » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:21 pm

I reckon that's a pretty good vid...it's fun and comes across as being honest - with some good advice.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

crr003
Posts: 765
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: Smart Motoways

Postby crr003 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:56 pm

martine wrote:I reckon that's a pretty good vid...it's fun and comes across as being honest - with some good advice.

Well that's one view.

How about no one drives on a motorway without taking an additional theory and practical driving test?

User avatar
jont-
Posts: 1316
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Re: Smart Motoways

Postby jont- » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:47 pm

crr003 wrote:
martine wrote:I reckon that's a pretty good vid...it's fun and comes across as being honest - with some good advice.

Well that's one view.

How about no one drives on a motorway without taking an additional theory and practical driving test?

Are [near] learners the problem or drivers who passed their test years ago but wouldn't recognise a highway code if slapped around the face with it?

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 2750
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Smart Motoways

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:28 pm

jont- wrote:
crr003 wrote:
martine wrote:I reckon that's a pretty good vid...it's fun and comes across as being honest - with some good advice.

Well that's one view.

How about no one drives on a motorway without taking an additional theory and practical driving test?

Are [near] learners the problem or drivers who passed their test years ago but wouldn't recognise a highway code if slapped around the face with it?


FWIW Even knowing about dynamic hard shoulders, I found it incredibly counterintuitive to cross the solid white line.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

crr003
Posts: 765
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: Smart Motoways

Postby crr003 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:18 pm

Horse wrote:
jont- wrote:
crr003 wrote:
martine wrote:I reckon that's a pretty good vid...it's fun and comes across as being honest - with some good advice.

Well that's one view.

How about no one drives on a motorway without taking an additional theory and practical driving test?

Are [near] learners the problem or drivers who passed their test years ago but wouldn't recognise a highway code if slapped around the face with it?


FWIW Even knowing about dynamic hard shoulders, I found it incredibly counterintuitive to cross the solid white line.

I'm trying to imagine the fortitude of those old drivers whose countries decided overnight to drive on the other side of the road.
Like
http://realscandinavia.com/this-day-in- ... er-3-1967/
Now that was a change!

I thought even HE had decided to kill off dynamic hard shoulder running? We really need to adopt driving in any lane like the yanks. It's too late to fix lane discipline.

User avatar
jont-
Posts: 1316
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Re: Smart Motoways

Postby jont- » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:32 am

crr003 wrote:We really need to adopt driving in any lane like the yanks. It's too late to fix lane discipline.

Or make the offence to be passed on the left. If someone can get past you, you clearly had plenty of space to move over. Should be easy enough to enforce with cameras/video footage :twisted:

waremark
Posts: 695
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:23 am

Re: Smart Motoways

Postby waremark » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:46 am

jont- wrote:
crr003 wrote:We really need to adopt driving in any lane like the yanks. It's too late to fix lane discipline.

Or make the offence to be passed on the left. If someone can get past you, you clearly had plenty of space to move over. Should be easy enough to enforce with cameras/video footage :twisted:

I strongly disagree with that. I get passed on the left by people who have different views on safe separation from me.

crr003
Posts: 765
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: Smart Motoways

Postby crr003 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:58 am

jont- wrote:
crr003 wrote:
martine wrote:I reckon that's a pretty good vid...it's fun and comes across as being honest - with some good advice.

Well that's one view.

How about no one drives on a motorway without taking an additional theory and practical driving test?

Are [near] learners the problem or drivers who passed their test years ago but wouldn't recognise a highway code if slapped around the face with it?

Probably everybody just to be sure. Start with a theory check. I've got a licence renewal for photo being old. They could have sent me a 50 question test to be completed along with it. Even if I had to open book it I'd be picking up some good info.
Here's a tweet from NWMPG (police)
https://twitter.com/nwmwaypolice/status ... 87936?s=21
Car doing 50 in lane 3 of 4. Plod lights it up. Car stops in lane 4.


Return to “In The News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests