Smart Motoways

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
GTR1400MAN

Re: Smart Motoways

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:53 pm

crr003 wrote:Here's a tweet from NWMPG (police)
https://twitter.com/nwmwaypolice/status ... 87936?s=21
Car doing 50 in lane 3 of 4. Plod lights it up. Car stops in lane 4.

4 lanes?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:39 pm

There appears to be three lanes going ahead and a slip lane, so four lanes if you stretch a point.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:12 pm

Jonquirk wrote:There appears to be three lanes going ahead and a slip lane, so four lanes if you stretch a point.

I suppose that, depending on where the split to separate carriageway is counted, it could be J/K/L/M lane 1 rather than A or B lane 1.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:28 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
crr003 wrote:Here's a tweet from NWMPG (police)
https://twitter.com/nwmwaypolice/status ... 87936?s=21
Car doing 50 in lane 3 of 4. Plod lights it up. Car stops in lane 4.

4 lanes?

There's me trusting the police to count!
I'd say there are four lanes at that point. Not really the main concern though!

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:59 pm

waremark wrote:
jont- wrote:If someone can get past you, you clearly had plenty of space to move over.

I strongly disagree with that. I get passed on the left by people who have different views on safe separation from me.

Hmm, I reckon if a vehicle is passed on left by something going at no more than the speed limit then there's a case to answer.

There's normally a whole string of lorry drivers on the M25 in the mornings, I watch them move to lane 2 a mile or so in advance of the junction (if they've actually bothered to use lane 1 up to that point), leaving lane 1 free for me to sail past a number of them before the start of the off-slip.

I reckon if I don't break the speed limit and don't weave in and out of lanes, (except when I'm passing to the right), then I have no sympathy for these mindless lane-blockers. Right pisses me off, it does!

Edited to add: regarding waremark's situation, I try very hard to move left if there's enough space, to allow faster or more impatient drivers to pass, even if it means I must temporarily go slower than otherwise. I know it doesn't apply to waremark but I see quite a few drivers who appear to have trouble changing lanes to pass slower vehicles ... in this case, if I've moved left I make sure I have some acceleration space ahead, indicate right to encourage the mindless driver to accelerate pass, thereby making a space for me to slot in behind.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

vanman

Postby vanman » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:30 pm

See IAM roadsmart have put their head above the parapet on smart motorways. What could be done would be to put a red X over lane one, oh and then publicise that this IS now the hard shoulder. Money better spent than those T......g insects.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:52 am

vanman wrote:See IAM roadsmart have put their head above the parapet on smart motorways. What could be done would be to put a red X over lane one, oh and then publicise that this IS now the hard shoulder. Money better spent than those T......g insects.

That advert is unbelievably stupid I suspect that 75% of drivers haven't a clue what it's all about. :soap:

vanman

Postby vanman » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:24 pm

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue May 04, 2021 11:59 am

Would they be allowed to activate the sign if they added, "The people in charge are a bunch of..." x^^x.

Return to “In The News”