Manual EV's?!

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Triquet

Re: Manual EV's?!

Postby Triquet » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:28 pm

Do EVs have diffs? I know some have separate motors per axle and in some cases on each wheel. I am not up to speed with the technology being a ICE person.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:45 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:I can think of one or two cars I have driven where that would be barely noticeable. :)

But not production vehicles built during the last 30 years? ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:49 am

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/hyu ... irst-drive

What makes it unique, then?

Hyundai has thrown the kitchen sink at the electronics to make it not just rapid, but engaging to drive in new and interesting ways we hadn’t previously thought possible. You can dive into the menus and make it sound like a zingy combustion engine, or a fighter jet, or a lightsaber. Weirdly, it’s the fake petrol engine sounds that work the best, largely because of another mode – N e-Shift.

This is a fully simulated eight-speed paddle shift gearbox that does everything a real one does – like manage the torque so you feel acceleration build as you rev towards the imaginary 8,000rpm redline. It will bounce off the limiter if you forget to pull the paddle, interrupt the torque with a little kick on upshifts and a little blip on the way down, the sound instantly reflects throttle position, revs and what ‘gear’ you’re in.

It all sounds horribly artificial on paper, but the shocker is… it works brilliantly and feels natural to the point you forget you’re interacting with software, not explosions and cogs. My highest praise? For a fast lap at the Gotlandring, our venue for Speed Week 2023, it was more fun to leave the e-Shift on.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:17 am

For the real enthusiast, how about a manual gearbox simulation that lacks synchromesh?

Driven badly, there could be convincing grinding sounds from the speakers and loss of drive from the motors. After a certain number of bad shifts the car could even refuse to work anymore in one or more gears, until you pay the dealership for an appropriate ‘repair’ (software reset) charged at a cost equivalent to mechanical gearbox refurb.

I’ve never actually ever driven a non-synchromesh gearbox, it might give me a chance to learn.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:56 am

Another Bill wrote:I’ve never actually ever driven a non-synchromesh gearbox

I've been thinking that if my rev-matched gear changes were any good, I ought to be able to do it clutchless ...
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:20 pm

Horse wrote:https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/hyundai/ioniq-5-n-electric-hatchback-2023/478kw-84-kwh-5dr-auto/first-drive

What makes it unique, then?

Hyundai has thrown the kitchen sink at the electronics to make it not just rapid, but engaging to drive in new and interesting ways we hadn’t previously thought possible. You can dive into the menus and make it sound like a zingy combustion engine, or a fighter jet, or a lightsaber. Weirdly, it’s the fake petrol engine sounds that work the best, largely because of another mode – N e-Shift.

This is a fully simulated eight-speed paddle shift gearbox that does everything a real one does – like manage the torque so you feel acceleration build as you rev towards the imaginary 8,000rpm redline. It will bounce off the limiter if you forget to pull the paddle, interrupt the torque with a little kick on upshifts and a little blip on the way down, the sound instantly reflects throttle position, revs and what ‘gear’ you’re in.

It all sounds horribly artificial on paper, but the shocker is… it works brilliantly and feels natural to the point you forget you’re interacting with software, not explosions and cogs. My highest praise? For a fast lap at the Gotlandring, our venue for Speed Week 2023, it was more fun to leave the e-Shift on.

Have they found a way to hide the weight of it? /apparently not. Who knew, you can't beat physics.

As for "driving modes"... can't manufacturers just do it right in the first place? Why should I need to do their job for them :roll: Think I'd rather take the 205 GTI mentioned in the summary.

Return to “In The News”