Hyundai keeping buttons

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
jont-

Hyundai keeping buttons

Postby jont- » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:10 am

https://www.thedrive.com/news/hyundai-p ... -dangerous

Shame the legislators can't see the danger and just ban the bloody things. IIRC Mazda have also said the same.

vanman

Re: Hyundai keeping buttons

Postby vanman » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:27 am

Totally agree, the few cars I have driven I have not even looked at the touch screen. Bad enough finding light switch on Fords (bottom right) why not on the stalk. :soap:
Hyundai's are good, from a maintenance point of view, dull drive but you can't have everything.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:32 am

Mrs T has a Hyundai i20 it's as dull as ditchwater, but it does what it says on the tin.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:43 am

vanman wrote:Hyundai's are good, from a maintenance point of view, dull drive but you can't have everything.

i30N is quite entertaining :gear:

M1ke H

Postby M1ke H » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:04 pm

A small victory for common sense. One of the reasons I went for my new Audi - it runs on old technology :)

angus

Postby angus » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:47 pm

vanman wrote:Totally agree, the few cars I have driven I have not even looked at the touch screen. Bad enough finding light switch on Fords (bottom right) why not on the stalk. :soap:

Because they've been puting it there for at least 25 years (VW & Mercedes put it there on some models too). Shame Ford have now put the fog lights on separate buttons - my old Mondeo you pulled it out one notch for front fogs & 2 for the rears, & turning the lights off turned the fogs off too

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:29 pm

I have a seven year old Hyundai Tucson - it has been trouble free and I like it a lot. Since we are on an AD forum I will mention that one of the main reasons I chose it over all the other mid-market SUV's is that the top spec version was available with a manual gearbox. That would not apply to any newer equivalent since they are all hybrids with auto gearboxes. I do like my Hyundai's mainly button based controls - though I regularly use the touch screen to change between radio presets.

In a previous car I had to use a laggy touch screen for the heated seats and it was a pain.

In newer cars I find the voice control systems work quite well and I use them for setting satnavs or (dare I admit it) dialling the phone. I expect they would also work for controlling the HVAC and volume but happily I have buttons or knobs for those functions in all our cars.

Is there a case for more standardisation of controls for functions like wipers and cruise controls? As someone who swaps from car to car and regularly uses cruise controls I often have to think which finger or thumb to use.

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:30 pm

vanman wrote:Totally agree, the few cars I have driven I have not even looked at the touch screen.

Are there no functions which you can only operate via the touch screen?

Return to “In The News”