Really? This will go well

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
crr003

Really? This will go well

Postby crr003 » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:00 pm

It's only Oxford, but it's the concept that worries me.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/oxfo ... -nqkrd5xhd

If you can't read it, the council is planning on controlling car drivers' movements.

Or have I been caught in a huge practical joke?

waremark

Re: Really? This will go well

Postby waremark » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:16 pm

Subscriber only article, please tell us more

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:49 am

Need more of the 4th paragraph please.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:28 am

Sorry, I can't read it now either!

I saw it linked on Twitter ( https://twitter.com/NicholasHellen/stat ... 9npBfdKgpw) with this comment:

"A maximum of three permits a household will be allowed if there are several adults with cars registered to the address. The restrictions will take effect between 7am and 7pm, seven days a week, in four of the six districts, but not on Sundays in the other two."

A bit of delving mentions the council setting up six areas where people can drive around but if they wanted to go further afield there would be restrictions. It read a bit more excitingly on Twitter!

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:12 pm

Could this story have commenced on 1st April?

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:49 pm

It's also carried in, if you can bring yourself to read it, the Daily Wail.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:03 pm

I always wondered why so many advanced civilisation from the past collapsed and disappeared.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:13 pm

And in Canterbury..........
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury ... in-275218/

Apparently this is to get us ready for when they take our cars/motorcycles from us. You exist in a region that is big enough for you to walk/bicycle. If you're too old/decrepit (hello!) then they will deliver the Soylent Green by drone (I might have made that last bit up).

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:15 pm

The Times wrote:The university city will be divided into six districts, and motorists will get fined if they leave their neighbourhood too often. Under the scheme proposed by the council, residents could drive to other districts on 100 days a year.

It is famous as the home of Britain’s oldest university and students on bicycles — but Oxford is known to its residents for its gridlocked traffic.

Now the council is fighting back with plans to divide the city into six districts from next August with strict rules on how often motorists can drive outside their neighbourhood.

Duncan Enright, the Oxfordshire county councillor leading the policy, said: “Oxford is a medieval city with roads that I can’t even believe were that brilliant during the days of horse and cart. The traffic problems in Oxford are not new, and we are determined to do something about it.”

Its 150,000 residents will be allowed to use their cars as much as they like within their district and will be given free permits allowing them to drive to other districts on 100 days a year. If they exceed this limit, they will be fined, possibly £70 a journey or a day.

A maximum of three permits a household will be allowed if there are several adults with cars registered to the address. The restrictions will take effect between 7am and 7pm, seven days a week, in four of the six districts, but not on Sundays in the other two.

Return to “In The News”