The nightmare has arrived, or has it?

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Gareth

The nightmare has arrived, or has it?

Postby Gareth » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:34 pm

there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

GTR1400MAN

Re: The nightmare has arrived, or has it?

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:45 pm

He was lucky they were all so far apart so he could keep re-assessing. Round these parts they'd be so far up each other's backsides it would be a 4 car or nothing overtake. :evil:
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:55 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:He was lucky they were all so far apart so he could keep re-assessing. Round these parts they'd be so far up each other's backsides it would be a 4 car or nothing overtake. :evil:

Most places nowadays. It is now standard practice round here for a run of cars to assemble into a 40 mph road train with minimal gaps. A row of cars with nice big gaps like this is very unusual. The video definition is a bit poor so quite how far the overtaker could see is far from obvious. And pray, how does one overtake on the RIGHT side of the road? :gear:

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:33 pm

Triquet wrote:The video definition is a bit poor so quite how far the overtaker could see is far from obvious.

Looked ok to me, and nothing visible in the grainy section well up the road when overtaking the last car.

And nice use of view too - keeping offside and nor moving back in, which suggests someone who actually knows how to overtake...

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:47 pm

Seems odd for the driver doing the overtaking to submit their own footage rather than a busybody in the queue getting upset. Maybe we should have more social media videos of competent driving?

vanman

Postby vanman » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:26 pm

What ... .... was wrong with that, as pointed out above bags of space between. Loads of view, I would be more that happy to do that overtake in my 79bhp Micra!! :soap:

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:58 pm

Once you are out and about to pass Car 1, you can get a terrific view of the road, and the gaps between Car 1 and 2 and even 2 and 3. And you are accelerating (even with the Micra). The only thing that really cause problems if one of the overtakees panics and does something daft but with big gaps they are unlikely that there will be a sudden pull-out. But in this situation they don't even see you coming. I had a sharpish overtake last week Lambourn to Wantage where I had a car / horse box trailer / 4 x 4 convoy and I don't think they realised it was happening. Advantage Saab Aero ...

angus

Postby angus » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:35 pm

I'm almost surprised he didn't stay out for the 5th.....

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:10 pm

I know it's not the news organisation making the comments in the article but some of those they relayed do make me wonder, however they've used a click-bait headline
driver overtakes FOUR cars in a row by driving the wrong way down the road
that fairly drips with false outrage.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:38 pm

Looked fine and safe to me.

Return to “In The News”