Speed limiters

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
exportmanuk

Re: Speed limiters

Postby exportmanuk » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:14 pm

I just see this having the opposite of the desired effect. Driver "The vehicle is limited to the speed limit which must be a safe speed" so no thought by the driver and ends up hitting a tree at the first bend. Or drives the same bit of road at the limited speed through the summer then gets caught out when its wet or icy. Decisions by people who are driven (chauffeured) imposed on those who drive.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:44 pm

It will be like all the HGVs driving on their limiters.

Just bury foot and let the tech control your speed :(
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:50 pm

vanman wrote:This sort of got under my radar, it is a report from the Mirror however....

10. Speed limiters in new cars
New cars will be fitted with speed limiters from July 6, 2022 to improve road safety.

The Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) black boxes will use GPS to work out what the speed limit is and will then ensure the car doesn't break it.

A new regulation will be imposed by the European Commission in the General Safety Regulation having been approved by the European Parliament in 2019.

ISAs will be mandatory for all new models given 'type approval' from 6 July. This means any new car brought to market from that date, rather than new cars already in production.

"Improve road safety"!

I would never buy a new car in any case, but it will limit the second market for me in five to ten years time.

The devices are fitted to most new cars. The important thing to remember is that they can be switched off and their use is optional.
In use they can be over ridden if needs be; sometimes I use them and at other times I don't.
Back a few decades and a Saab 900 Turbo I owned (not the GM abortion) the technician in the dealership told me the highest speed the car had ever been to!
The technology is there and car makers are often one jump ahead of any regulations.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:02 pm

sussex2 wrote:The devices are fitted to most new cars. The important thing to remember is that they can be switched off and their use is optional.
In use they can be over ridden if needs be; sometimes I use them and at other times I don't.

Not yet they are not. I think you are talking about speed limiters that YOU can set and use as an alternative to cruise control. My car has both and I use the cruise quite a lot. The devices being discussed here are a different beast and are dynamic devices that are on all the time, setting the limit based on a GPS database and/or sign reading.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:43 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
sussex2 wrote:The devices are fitted to most new cars. The important thing to remember is that they can be switched off and their use is optional.

Not yet they are not. I think you are talking about speed limiters that YOU can set and use as an alternative to cruise control. My car has both and I use the cruise quite a lot. The devices being discussed here are a different beast and are dynamic devices that are on all the time, setting the limit based on a GPS database and/or sign reading.

From time to time I 'borrow' a new car mostly used by various other drivers. It is not at all unusual to find anything that can be turned off, turned off!
Having said that the car is driven in a mountainous area with all sorts of hazards and road conditions - they don't drift along (well sometimes in the winter) in Tesla like serenity.
I don't think one size is going to fit all with this.

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:41 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:

I'm talking about devices which set the speed limit for limiter or cruise control dynamically based on a GPS database or sign reading or both. As I have stated some new cars have them today, in which case they can be switched on or off.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:05 am

waremark wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:

I'm talking about devices which set the speed limit for limiter or cruise control dynamically based on a GPS database or sign reading or both. As I have stated some new cars have them today, in which case they can be switched on or off.

Mine has these, and more, and yes they can be switched off and are switched off, when needs be. The technology is all there.
I still little boy like chuckle about the self parking though - this even works in really tight spaces :D

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:44 pm

And how will automated systems work when one is abroard?

Year before last I had occasion to drive from Antwerp to Lower Normandy ... I wonder how it would have handled that ...

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:38 pm

Triquet wrote:And how will automated systems work when one is abroard?

Year before last I had occasion to drive from Antwerp to Lower Normandy ... I wonder how it would have handled that ...

I live in Spain (Catalunya mixed with the French side) and can assure they work perfectly well. The last time I looked we had electricity and all sorts of mod cons ;)

Return to “In The News”