Banning the wrong things again?

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
jont-

Banning the wrong things again?

Postby jont- » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:28 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59339961

So why not follow the research that says hands free calls are just as dangerous as hand held and ban those too? Should be easy these days with call logs to show whether someone was on the phone or not at the time of a bump.

Then can we follow with touchscreens too?

Although TBH, I don't know why we need all these shitty bits of "point" legislation when there's already DWDCA as a catchall which seems to cover the problem :soap:

Triquet

Re: Banning the wrong things again?

Postby Triquet » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:16 am

And just about everybody uses their mobile phone as a Sat Nav. The built-in Sat Nav has become like Beta-Max, a dead end of technology.

vanman

Postby vanman » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:53 am

One thing that has been pointed out to me. If you pull over to a safe place to use the phone legally the engine has to be OFF. Suppose it makes it easier to enforce that way but.......

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:57 am

vanman wrote:One thing that has been pointed out to me. If you pull over to a safe place to use the phone legally the engine has to be OFF. Suppose it makes it easier to enforce that way but.......

How do you prove that with an EV and keyless entry?

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:01 am

jont- wrote:
vanman wrote:One thing that has been pointed out to me. If you pull over to a safe place to use the phone legally the engine has to be OFF. Suppose it makes it easier to enforce that way but.......

How do you prove that with an EV and keyless entry?

Well, there's no whining. Until the driver gets the ticket...

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:12 pm

Triquet wrote:And just about everybody uses their mobile phone as a Sat Nav. The built-in Sat Nav has become like Beta-Max, a dead end of technology.

Last night I did that - handheld the phone while stopped but engine running to set a destination (picked up from Google Maps history, having looked on my laptop at home before leaving. I then put the phone down on the centre console (but not in a bracket). Distraction from driving very low.

(If I expect to use the phone for navigation for long I use a sucky bracket on the screen to hold the phone, but not when it is just for a couple of minutes at the end of a journey.)

Subsequently, I saw on the car's screen that I had messages, and briefly opened an email. Potential for distraction from driving enormous (though of course I didn't read the email and didn't allow myself to be significantly distracted)!

There is now so much potential for distraction from car infotainment systems that trying to limit distraction from handholding phones seems pointless. And how well they work for hands free phone operation means than handholding phones for conversation will be a diminishing problem. How do people think infotainment systems could be or should be regulated?

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:22 pm

waremark wrote:How do people think infotainment systems could be or should be regulated?

No touchscreens. Primary controls should be physical, including anything ventilation related.

I think Mazda lock off some IVI functionality while the vehicle is moving - arguably irritating if you have a passenger, but given occupancy sensors are now common, that should be easy to correct for too (ie lock it off if there's a single front occupant). Mazda are also one of the few manufacturers to move away from touchscreens.

It will be interesting to see how driver monitoring cameras (coming to most vehicles real soon now) cope and don't end up over-reacting and irritating owners. My worry is that the thresholds will end up being set too low to be useful to avoid lots of positives for other drivers.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:57 pm

jont- wrote:
waremark wrote:How do people think infotainment systems could be or should be regulated?

It will be interesting to see how driver monitoring cameras (coming to most vehicles real soon now) cope and don't end up over-reacting and irritating owners. My worry is that the thresholds will end up being set too low to be useful to avoid lots of positives for other drivers.

From videos I've seen (to be fair, probably selected demos), they are [or may be] good at identifying where a driver is looking, e.g. n/s mirror.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:28 pm

Horse wrote:
jont- wrote:

From videos I've seen (to be fair, probably selected demos), they are [or may be] good at identifying where a driver is looking, e.g. n/s mirror.

So how much looking at the manufacturer supplied/installed infotainment will it tolerate before it nags?

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:44 pm

What are these driver monitoring cameras? Some of our cars are supposed to have driver drowsiness monitors; I am often drowsy in the car to the point of stopping, but I have never had a warning from one of these systems.

Return to “In The News”