Banning the wrong things again?

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Horse

Re: Banning the wrong things again?

Postby Horse » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:32 pm

jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:
jont- wrote:From videos I've seen (to be fair, probably selected demos), they are [or may be] good at identifying where a driver is looking, e.g. n/s mirror.

So how much looking at the manufacturer supplied/installed infotainment will it tolerate before it nags?

No idea. Currently I think they're intended as part of some automated driving functions.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:23 am

Just going back to SatNav again. I use Waze, and one of the pleasing features is that it is constantly updated by users inputs (which presumably now would be illegal). On a couple of occasions recently, it's picked up road closures and/or problems and almost immediately recalculated alternative routing.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:27 am

It is, arguably, already illegal. As has been pointed out many times the offence already exists to cover DWDCA, and operating a device on the move, arguably, falls into that category. The problem is that it is a subjective test. Therefore much easier to make the test objective, so phone in hand = nicked. Easy.

But it still doesn't deal with the real problem, and I don't think any legislation ever will.

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:51 pm

It isn’t going to be illegal for a passenger to update Waze, is it?

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:11 am

:soap: A Modest Proposal

As the legislation gets tighter, more and more of the Great Britsh Public try to keep their mobiles out of sight as they frantically text, Google, Facebook, whatever. Therefore the Law of Unintended Consequences kicks in, and we have a lot of people driving round not even looking at the road. I suspect that this is causing a net INCREASE in the number of mobile-related incidents. Maybe it's time to do away with mobile-related legislation and just stick with DWDCAA when necessary. :drool:

waremark

Postby waremark » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:47 pm

Will manufacturers start installing hands-free phone brackets?

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:51 pm

Both of my cars have cradles that I installed. I use Brodit as they will sell you a car-specific mount to which you add a phone-specific holder, making it easier to change car, or phone. I have active mounts for my iPhone that hold a charging cable so that the phone is recharged while it is in the cradle, allowing me to arrive at my destination with the most charge in the battery.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:01 am

Much of the technology can irritate - touch screens for heating and ventilation (shame on you Stellantis group for persevering with this) and lane departure warnings (Some Ford cars do not allow these to be turned off).
There will always be something irritating on any car; at least I have never had own that didn't have something.
When we collected our present vehicle the salesman was at pains to demonstrate all the features (knew about most of them already) and was quite surprised how attentive I was 'Most people just turn it all off' he said 'Or are not interested at all'.
Thus people are driving around in the latest technology as if it was still the 1960s.
A friend who still drives as if it was that decade looked at the auto transmission on the car and said 'How do you coast downhill' this being a popular pursuit in Spain (every country has these little gimmicks I suppose).

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:03 am

waremark wrote:Will manufacturers start installing hands-free phone brackets?

Do not the wireless charging shelves do this? But then I think Android Auto needs a cable connection.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:02 pm

sussex2 wrote:
waremark wrote:Will manufacturers start installing hands-free phone brackets?

Do not the wireless charging shelves do this? But then I think Android Auto needs a cable connection.

With mine, the salesman said the Bluetooth isn't sufficient, ideally use a cable.

(I don't have wireless charging). Although I did find out that it has the 'dipping' NS mirror for reversing.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “In The News”